Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Convert Surface .stp to Solid .stp ?

morsetaper2

I run into occasion were I import a .stp and it imports as a surface file. I usually either request the sender resend a solid step or I recreate the model as a solid. Is there a way to convert a surface .stp import to a solid?

I exported this particular sample solid model (surface_step.stp) as a surface .stp file, and the file is here in my webspace if you'd like to take a look:

http://home.comcast.net/~morsetaper2/bbs/surface_step.stp

I tried opening the .stp as both a part and assembly. Tried.... Edit--> Solidify but the Solidify & Thicken commands are greyed out and not accessible?

Any advice on converting .stp files that import as surfaces to convert them as solids... other than doing a new solid model?

Thanks, Mark

Edited by: morsetaper2

All of the surfaces need to be attached. Switch to wireframe mode and check your system color settings for the quilt and manufacturing volume colors. You want the edges to show in the manufacturing volume color, when you have all the quilts attached solidify will become selectable. You can do it in Import Data Doctor or you can also copy all the surfaces and then merge them (might be able to do it in one or two merge features although I had to create three).

Thanks!
smiley1.gif

Worked like a champ.

* Highlighted the import feature in Model Tree
* Right Click-edit definition
* Found & deleted the quilted (cosmetic Thread) surfaces
* Combined the remaining surfaces
* Hit solidify
* Went back and re-tapped my holes to get my cosmetic threads back.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by: morsetaper2

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back