Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Config.pro not loading (WF2 on XP sp2)

francoisguimont

I just installed WF2 on Windows XP and I can't get the config.pro that I created in "options" to load. I tried to put the file alternatively in:

C:\Program Files\ProENGINEER\text

and in my default user's directory (where ProE brings me at start-up)

C:\Documents and Settings\Francois

The settings just won't load. They seem to be conflicting with others settings but I do not know where those are. My config.pro is a simple test file containing pro_units_sys and file_open_default_folder settings.

I could not find any config.sup file after standard installation.

Can anyone help?

Francois

Did you try moving the config.pro file to a directory that doesn't have spaces in the name? Both paths listed have spaces, try starting in C:\temp, with the config.pro located in there and see if it solves your problem.

Same behavior in C:\temp. Thanks for trying.

Actually, even when I try to APPLY the settings in TOOLS, OPTIONS, the status of the parameter goes from OK (green) to conflictual (grey). It seems like I cannot even set parameters in TOOLS, OPTIONS which seems very peculiar to me.

There has to be somethingtrivial that I don't understand in the way that Windows installed WF2 sets parameters.

Do you have a config.sup within the text directory? If you do it won't allow you to load any alternative/conflicting config entries.

No config.sup anywhere on the C: drive. Attached are the config.* files that I found after installation.

Here is another strange behavior: when I save a config.pro file in my home directory, then ProE will shut itself off whenever I try to open a file. I have to delete the config.pro in order for ProE to run properly. It can run with a current_session.pro file but not with a config.pro file existing in my home directory.

View attachment 2142

Several things:
How did you create config.pro file?, did you just select options and their values in ProE, and save config.pro or did you write it in Notepad?
If you have write it in notepad, did you while you have saving file under Save as Type chose All Files? or Txt File?
Also try in Folder Options (windows explorer), under View tab unchecked option:
Hide Extensions For Known File Types > maybe your config file have: config.pro.txt

Since your default user directory where ProE starts is:
C:\Documents and Settings\Francois
There config.pro must be in oder ProE to read it and starts with this config.pro
If you want to put all config files and config.pro to other directory (for Example C:\Configs), then in your Icon of ProE > RMB > Properties > Shortcut tab > under Start In write path to your desired Folder (in my example C:\Configs).

Thanks for your input.

I created the config.pro file in ProE OPTIONS, not in Notepad. I also tried to save and rename a current_session.pro file to config.pro (while ProE not running, of course). Same result.

I know that ProE recognizes the config.pro file at start-up (in my home directory) and reads it. But my settings are not implemented (the "status" of the parameters in the OPTIONS tableis grey, which means it is in conflict with some other settings). And then, I cannot use ProE anymore. It shuts down when I try to open a ProE file. In other words, ProE will not allow me to open any of my files if there is a config.pro in that directory.

Hereis my simple config.pro file.

file_open_default_folder C:\Documents and Settings\Francois\Mes documents\PROE
pro_unit_sys cgs

Could you send me this config.pro file, I know you have listed your option in it but I want to try run ProE with him to see if I would have the same problem.
In additional I could send you my set of config files if you want, you can then change them and adept to your needs.

I had to zip it even if it is tiny. The forum won't allow different.
2006-04-20_135630_config.zip

The file only has one line for test purposes:

pro_unit_sys cgs

I also tried to rename my config.pro to config.sup and put it in:

C:\Program Files\ProENGINEER\text

That didn't work either.

I have no more ideas...

Hey there, maybe a bit late but try the following

create a folder called c:\ptc\mysetup\ (or whatever)

put your config.pro in that same folder or alter your settings in Pro, options. Then select save as, browse to that folder and name it config.pro.

close proe

check with explorer if its in there and named config.pro

go to your desktop and right click on your Proe shortcut

make sure under 'start in' box that you filled in the above mentioned folder

start proe again, and it should read that specific config

greets

Nick

Thanks for your response.

I have already triedthat withC:\temp without any success.

Did your havean hypothesis on what could be the problem?

Francois

Francois

I have tried your config.pro and it works fine with me. I'm sending you mine config.pro file, try it and if you still have problems then I'm not sure what it might be.
Only thing then I could suggest you is to reinstall ProE, maybe while installing there were problem.

Extract file to C:\Config, In shortcut properties of ProE set Start In to C:\Config (see attached picture)
2006-04-24_155856_Config.zip

View attachment 2170

It works fine with your config.pro file. Thanks for sending it. For the first time, ProE is loading a different unit system than "inch-lbm". If I use your file as is, without modification, there is no problem.

The trouble begins when I try to edit it (both in Notepad and in TOOLS-OPTIONS)

I copied thoses lines from your config.pro and created mine:

spin_center_display NO
pro_unit_length unit_mm
pro_unit_mass unit_kilogram
display_axes yes
display_coord_sys no
display_planes no
display_points no

All the lines load fine except:

pro_unit_length unit_mm
pro_unit_mass unit_kilogram

Even if those came directly from your file, they do not load when they come from mine.

There is something really weird happening. I am still in the dark...

Isair,

Are you saying that when you tried my config.pro containing only the line

pro_unit_sys cgs

you verified that the unit system was changed to cm, grams and seconds in your session?

Yes, when I create new part, not using mine part template, then yes units in this new part are cm, grams and seconds.

I'm really out of options what might be wrong in your files, try delete all lines from mine file that you don't need, then save file and try to load it.
If Pro/E works good, then you might have problem with your files in windows, are you logged in as Administrator, power user or just regular user?, there also might be some clues why this happening.

Thanks for your input and help, Isair.

I have tried everything imaginable with your file in order to understand the situation.

I guess that the only thing to do now is to wait. The answer will come to me when I least expect it, like many other things we learn by accident in ProE.

What surprises me the most is that no one else has experienced that situation. One would not expect such difficulties with WF2 and XP which are quite mature systems.

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back