Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Component Colors in Drawing

verge

A simple one, but again, no answer in Pro-E help! I need to show different "categories" of this assembly in different colors - and they won't be the same colors as the models (thank you, sales department, for this last minute request!).

I want to separate the categories onto their own layers, then print my drawing showing each category in a different color (exhaust system in one color, fuel system in another, etc.). So far, I can't even change the color of a component in my drawing!
smiley19.gif

Help...

view / drawing display / component display / style with pick all views , then click on the component / done / user color/ select a color from the list.

View attachment 3740

I didn't test this to see if it will print OK, but in drawing the colors are changing.

vlad,

I've tried this and had no luck with it.
smiley5.gif

I'll try it again. I have a feeling I'm not picking the component at the right time or something. Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The strange thing is that no matter what color the components are in the drawing, I'm not able to print them in color. The company logo that we use in the title block comes out in color, but not the components. May be printer settings.

When it's solved, I'll post the solution.

Thanks again.

Verge,

I think this might work for you. You can make a trace copy sketch of components in the assy(one sketch per component). Then you can change the sketch color to the color you want. It should appear ok in the dwg.

Omar

Create a sketch in the assy (orienting the sketch the same way your view is going to be in your dwg. Then you trace the curves you want your dwg to diplay (the icon should be under the create a point option in you sketch tools toolbar). After exiting you can change the color of a sketch by right click edit.( make sure the sketch is in front of the component if you want to display x-sec.)
Omar

Sorry,

Forgot to metion that I haven't tried this in assy. you might want to try it on a small assy comp before going all out.

Omar

I have a feeling that the real question here is how to add a new color to my list of user colors. When I try vlad's technique, the color dialog box only lists the basic reference color under "user-defined". I must be missing a drawing color map or something. The "New..." option on the dialog box is greyed out. Is there a config file I need to tweak?

I see where you're going with your technique, Omar, and if need be I'll give it a try, but I'm dealing with a very large assembly here and it might be rather inefficient at this stage in the game. In the end, I'll do what I have to...

The mystery deepens. Somehow it must not be using the same .dmt file.The colors I have saved in that file don't show up at all in this color dialog box. As a matter of fact, the default colors aren't even there - just the basic reference color.

Curious...well, it's a good stumper, anyway.

It's set to follow a path tothe syscol.scl file.

Here's a question: What the freak?
smiley7.gif

Here's another question: is there a config file that controls the colors available from within the drawing?Is it hidden or something?

Number one, I don't have the same colors available to me for "component display" within the drawing as I do for "color and appearance" within themodel.

Number two, not a thing happens when I try to switch the color to the one color I do have available as "user defined".

There's something happening here that must have to do with configuration, paths, or some other similar malarkey.
smiley29.gif
I would like to thank the people here at work who requested this change. If they only knew. Ah well, it's better than shoveling s##t at the racetrack...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back