Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cleaning up config.pro

jarl_72

I'm not sure when it happened, but my Config.pro now includes every single key there might be, instead of just the ones I want to personalize.

Obviously, most of the keys are in the default value, but it's a very long list to go one by one deleting every key that is set to a default. Is there any way of cleaning up this file, short of deleting it and creating it again?

Unfortunately I can't help you this time, but in the future, always keep a few versions of your config.pro as backups. It sure comes in handy when you create a new mapkey and Pro decides to duplicate them on you. I've had to revert back to an older copy on many occassions.
smiley9.gif

<tg>

Time's up!!!

I realized how dumb was my question after seeing an icon on my desktop... Then I remembered good ol' -insert programming language of choice here-.

And the answer is (Please note: it worked for me... it can shred your machine to pieces!!! Use at your own risk!!!):

1. rename your config.pro as anything you can remember later
2. open proe, choose tool->options, unchek "show only options loaded from file"
3. save the whole list as something-else-you-can-remember
4. rename back your config.pro file AND make a backup!!!
5. create a dumb program that erases from config.pro any line present on both files
6. test your new config.pro and confirm everything works as supposed
7. follow telecomguy's good advise and make a backup of your new file.

#2 just creates a list of all the keys and their default values... which is exactly what I didn't want inmy config.pro.

Sorry for distracting you all from work
smiley1.gif

HI,

YOU CAN USE THE FILE CREATD IN YOUR WORK FOLDER, NAMED AS "current_session.pro".

WHEN PRO/E DETTECTS THAT YOU HAVE OLD LINES IN YOUR ORIGINAL CONFIG.PRO, HE CREATES THIS FILES AS A COPY OF YOUR CONFIG WITHOUT ALL OLD LINES.

HOPPING IT'S OK FOR YOU,

ALBERT

That would be much, much easier.... :D

I thought current_session kept only the changes you made in the CURRENT session, though... Unfortunately I am not sure when my config.pro got messed up.

I'll check the current_session.pro to see if it keeps what I needed. Thanks for the suggestion. (The method I mentioned worked for me, though).

JR

When you make mapkeys and save them you have the option of saving "Changed" or "All". Saving "All" is what creates mass duplicates. Doing this a few times will make quintuples before you know it. Even if you only save "Changed" mapkeys you will have duplicates as Pro/E does not remove the old definition, it just adds the new definition to the end of the file.

Also watch where you are saving the mapkeys, you don't have to save them back into the system config.pro. I usually save them into a temp file and move the final version into the system config.pro. You can edit config.pro files with any text editor to keep it cleaned up.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back