Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

circular symetry constraint

olivierpa

Dear All

I'm working with wildfire 4 and I face a problem with circular symerty constraint

To save time , I used this function but when I check the result I saw the piston is turning arround the axis ,I my mine when we use this function , the parts are lock in rotation

If we have an idea about this probem can you help me

2010-10-05_043711_Doc1.zip

Best regards

OP

i think you have to specify displacement constraints in a cylindrical coordinate system due to the nature of the problem. Cartesian coordinates is not a good choice for a circular symmetry problem. try setting up a cylindrical CS and reference it when defining boundary conditions.

Edited by: solidworm

are you sure have you constrained the piston correctly? you have constrained all 6 DOFs on the sides(at theta=0 and theta=90) i guess that results in rigid body motion.

Alavierpa,

What you are referring to is "cyclic symmetry". When cyclic symmetry is applied, your model will behave exactly as it has from your first result. I would recommend that you select a FEA reference that provides a good explanation of various boundary conditions, how they work and how/when they should be applied. If your system loads your components in a manner that will produce rotational displacement with a symmetrically distributed load, you must use cyclic symmetry if you wish to reduce the size of your model and obtain an accurate result. Have you looked at Mechanica's on-line help concerning symmetry constraints? The on-line help provides enough information to help explain different symmetry BCs.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back