Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

change an iges

daniella

Hi,

I have received iges files which are partly broken, is there a fast way of remodelling them? Also how can i extrude into them?

regards,

daniela

To repair the IGES and create solid geometry from it:
Create a new part in pro/e. Then Insert -> Shared Data -> From file and browse for the IGES file. Once you've picked the necessary co-ordinate system and placed the IGES into your part, you can then RIGHT-CLICK on the IGES entry in the model tree -> Edit Definition. Now at the top menu bar you'll see a menu called 'Geometry', which will have various options to patch up the IGES geometry.

Just switch to wire-frame mode, and you'll easily be able to spot where a surface is open and requires closing. The automatic heal geometry sometimes works, but I find that I usually end up having to zip the gaps manually. Also, when fixing gaps manually - play around with the MaxGapDist setting; often it is set too low and larger gaps don't get closed as one would expect

View attachment 4960

It's a bit frustrating at first, but use Pro/e context help to learn about the commands and you should get it. Once all the gaps have been closed, then you can pick the quilt -> Edit -> Solidify to create the solid geometry which you can then extrude into etc.

To leave the IGES broken and build around it:
Alternatively - just import the IGES file into a part as mentioned earlier, and build your new geometry around it. When you're done, hide the IGES surfaces.

Edited by: neuronex

Hi,

I had a look and managed to get repair buttons up but all it kept doing was give me a warning: that the design intent is unclear and I should go to check/geometry, which had nothing in it.

Also I am guessing mine is not quite the same as I have a student version, s it doesnt have all the same features, sadly.

thx,

daniela

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back