Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

cfd

THAT DEPEND on WHAT YOU NEED.... what sort of analysis or product you produce etc..what is the kind of physics you are looking for..etc....

have a look with: CFDesign, got software for price with really interesting capabilities, this one is really used byproengineer users.

or CFX if you need a advance features as multiphysis (multi hase fluid...free surface etc..)

I use CF Design, easy to use for the non cfd expert. One nice feature is the motion capabilities, both forced and flow-driven motion.

/Anders

The large jet engine manufacturers (as a suppler to a defense manufactures like Northrup) will use Fluent. http://www.fluent.com/ I'm not sure what the boat folks use?CFD for mold flow analysis is different as well. Automobile wind tunnel testing would probably use fluent too.
Edited by: design-engine

My company uses Fluent. Unfortunately it's limited in structural/fluid applications because the we use Mechanica for structural best/most refined way to pressure outputs into mechanica is by center of pressure. No way to direclty export a pressure distribution into Mechanica.

Dave

Hi

I have also the same problem. I ha a big proE assembly and want to design the cooling and air ventilation system for this packeging..

what kind of posssibilitiey are there for such an application??

i am not a cfd expert .. but fluent is too hard to learn i think..

are there any other cheaper and easiere ones to implent with proEngineer?

i need your help and looking forward to hearing any of you as soon as possible....

Greetings

Have a look at EFD.Pro from Flomerics (formerly from NIKA, then Flomerics, now owned by Mentor Graphics). EFD.Pro is the Pro/E flavored version of the Engineering Fluid Dynamics software (EFD). It's very straight forward in use for the "normal" engineer. You do not need to be the expert, just a good understanding of fluids (or gasses) and flow is enough. In your case of cooling: use your Pro/E geometry, put on the boundary conditions, use air from the library and start your analysis. The system will automesh, automatically refining where needed en perform the analysis. This software is fully embedded in Pro/e, boundary conditions are in the model tree and directly on the Pro/E model. Postprocessing is done in the normal Pro/E window (which even PTC's Pro/MECHANICA does not do!), results have great accuracy. You can also do rotating fans for your ventilation. We have done things like simulating car-fire in a underground car parking etc.

I know this sounds a bit like sales talk (yes we are reseller of EFD) but we also use EFD ourselves and we are very impressed with it. Just have a look at it and judge for yourself.

I agree with Remmerv that EFD.Pro is a good choice for parametric CFD analysis with Pro/E. However, during our down select process on CFD tools for my company, the lack of North American users of EFD.Pro wasanegative aspect.

We also considered Star CCM+ from CD-adapco, which was used at our parent company, but seemed to be a little overkill for our applications, which did not include high speed flow, moving walls, etc.

We decided on CFDesign, which I can say us a very nice tool for CFD analysis, and as ankarl mentioned, it's visualization capabilities are one if it's strong points. It also has versions for multiple CAD tools, such as Inventor adn Solidworks in ddition to the Pro/E version we have.

If you are looking for internal and external fluid, heat transfer.. CFDesign is really good, if you are looking to analysis phased fluid -(gas and liquid analysis, chemical reaccion or combustionfor example) you will need CFX or Fluent from Ansys.

they are the most important CFD tool for Proe and others CAD products.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back