Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Centerline on a Curved Tube

barnam

How do I add a centerline to a drawing of a curved tube? The radius equate to about a 400 inches, it's just a gradual curve over the length of the tube. In SW or IV I could do it in about 2 or 3 clicks of the mouse, but I can't figure it out for the life of me in ProE. I've even tried sketching it in, but that's a pain, a big pain compared to SW.

For the record, I think it's a bit lame to have to add a datum axis to my model to get a centerline on my drawing!
smiley21.gif

BM
Edited by: barnam

If you create the curved tube using the pipe feature, it will give you a centerline that you can show on your drawing.

ehorton said:
If you create the curved tube using the pipe feature, it will give you a centerline that you can show on your drawing.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that it was an imported igs file. I work fora job shop, doing some manufacturing engineering / reverse engineering on a new product for a customer, a service we don't get paid for, so we generally don't remodel parts that we don't absolutely have to. Our reimbursement comes when we get the order for the job.

Thanks. I'll have to look into the pipe feature for future reference.

BM

I had the same problem, it annoyed the crap out of me. You may want to try swept protrusion with a circular cross section. Cleared my drawing right up!

Hi,

You could also draw a datum curve, and change the line style to center line. I've had to do that on a few occasions. You can blank the layer it's on for the views you don't need it on. A bit of a work-around.

Sip

The datum curve should work. But if you want to sketch it in the drawing, you should be able to offset a line half the diameter of the curved tube picking the outside edgeView attachment 4251 Use the circled Icon in the pic --> Pick Edge or chain of edges --> then type in offset distance. *Remember to think of what your drawing scale is, because it will matter. E.G. if drawing scale is 1/2, offset is 1/2 the radius.

ehorton said:
*Remember to think of what your drawing scale is, because it will matter. E.G. if drawing scale is 1/2, offset is 1/2 the radius.

I think if you make the drawing parametric under sketcher preferences, it will be as if 1:1. I think.

Just make sure you relate your drafted entities to the view they are in, or lese you will be very frustrated...

My 2cts Cdn,
smiley2.gif

Sip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back