Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can You Get Older Versions of PTC Softwa

frumble

We currently use AutoCAD, and want to switch over to Pro/E, and Pro/Intralink. Two of our users have experience using Pro/E WF1, and Pro/Intralink 3.4, and we would like to go with that.However, I do notice that PTC is really pushing WF3, and Intalink 8.0. When we purchase two new seats of the software, can we get WF1, and 3.4, or will we be forced to use the newest version?

As PTC will stop supporting Intralink 3.4 in a couple of years I would suggest that you go for Intralink 8 and Wildfire 2 or 3. Wildfire 3 is still having the bugs flushed out of it so 2 would be a safer and more stable bet. If you install Intralink 3.4 now you will be faced with a big bill for the upgrade to Intralink 8 later. Although the software upgrade for going from 3.4 to 8 is free, you have to go through a complicated Intralink dataconversion process and to attempt it without paying for at least some PTC training would be dodgy to say the least. We are currently on WF2 and Intralink 3.4 and are wanting to take the step up but costs are holding us back, I wish we could just jump straight into Intralink 8.

Thanks for the reply kdmgooner

I agree moving to Ilink8.0 would be the best idea, but I've heard that if you have a maintenence contract for Ilink, you are able to order CD's for any version of the software you want/need.

Do you, or anyone else know if this is accurate?

In response to your original question. Once you have valid maintenance, you can go to the PTC website and still get virtually any build of WF2 and WF1 and even a few builds of 2001 install CDs if you so desire.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Well, yes you can. Once armed with a maintainance agreement, as the customer you can ask PTC to install or order disks for anything you like from Intralink 3.2 upwards and PROE 2001 upwards. Im sure PTC wont mind charging you for installing 3.4 & WF1 and then charging you gain when you upgrade.

With Pro/E there is no charge to upgrade from one version to another.

Does anyone actually pay PTC to install software?

Some people specifically want to run multiple versions of Pro/E because they are dealing with customers on particular old versions of software.

Db

I agreethat itisnt the PROE bit that costsany money and its so easy to install that it wont incur any costs. Its the jump from Intralink 3.x up to 8 where costs are inevitable. Intralink 8 is radically different to 3.x in its installation, its administartion and its user interface. Costs may come fromupgrade training and admin training (for your administrator to do the upgrade yourself) and thenon line support when doing the upgrade and 3.x data conversion. You can probably get away without user training which is what we intend to do.

There are plenty of other topics of this nature on this forum and on PTC's web site, all giving advice and accounts of their experiences when going from 3.x to 8. I would recommend taking a look to see what is involved with upgrading youreself.

I would love to get my hands on Pro/E
version 7 just for nostalgia
sake! Maybe I will write a grant to make a 'Versions Museum'
complete with All version of Pro/E Alais Pong Joust and Photoshop.

Edited by: design-engine

Build codes do "time out" so even if you are able to download some of the older versions, eventually you will have to play with your computer clock in order to get the software to run. For example, I think as of today, M110 of WF 2.0 won't run.

I remember back in my PTC days when WF 1.0 was a few months before roll out, one of the PTC gurus showed Rev 19 for comparison, and he had it on an old laptop with the date rolled back in order to show the old interface for laughs.

Btw, frumble, you really don't want to be on WF1. WF2 at least is so much more stable and easier to use.

jabbadeus said:
Btw, frumble, you really don't want to be on WF1. WF2 at least is so much more stable and easier to use.

I agree, I started with 2001 up to wf3 and if it's up to me I'll go back to wf2.

jabbadeus said:
Build codes do "time out" so even if you are able to download some of the older versions, eventually you will have to play with your computer clock in order to get the software to run. For example, I think as of today, M110 of WF 2.0 won't run.

David, could you elaborate a little? I must be misunderstanding.

jeff4136 said:
jabbadeus said:
Build codes do "time out" so even if you are able to download some
of the older versions, eventually you will have to play with your
computer clock in order to get the software to run. For example, I
think as of today, M110 of WF 2.0 won't run.

David, could you elaborate a little? I must be misunderstanding.

smiley5.gif
it should not be.. there is no time out set for the date code.. My WF2 M070 is still running on my PC..

the only time out issue faced ever is the intralink bug.. but it is solved by a patch from PTC

At certain points they made changes in the license server software that made it impossible to run both the newest and very old releases from the same license server. You could always work around that by using more than one license server. I know that the WF2 license server would not work with R20 and earlier. But basically, there is no timeout.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back