Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can i family table a DRW like an ASM?

erabinowitz

so I've looked through the forum, and haven't seen this questions asked like this...maybe i don't understand the terminology though...

I want to make 1 drawing, for a family tabled part. i understand i can have a table that displays the differences of instances, but that means that every time i add an instance, i have to REV the drawing and create and ECN, and that will affect ALL the parts on the drawing, and that will require unnecessary ERP/MRP work (have to REV every single part)....

I want to be able to open 1 single drawing file, and have it display an instance list, just like when you open a family tabled assembly. i can then choose from the list the drawing I want, and presto. Each drawing instance will only contain info for that instance...Every time i create a new drawing, i won't have to do anything to the other existent parts...

i understand I can save a copy, rename, and replace the drawing model, but it would be so much cleaner to just have one DRW file...

If not...is there a "suggestion box" at PTC?

Thanks for your help

So why don't you do that, if that's what you want, of course you can do it, just create one drawing, put views and dimensions for the generic or an instance doesn't matter. Then whenever you need a drawing for an instance, open this drawing, replace the drawing model, then view/update sheet, and your done. You have a drawing for the other instance. I always create drawings for every instance, why?, because in short term your method seams fine but in long term if you have for instance a instance that doesn't have a feature that the generic has, then those dimensions for that feature will "crash", and every time you need a drawing for that instance you need to create thos dimensions each time. So better to do the job once, make drawings for all instances.

erabinowitz said:
i understand I can save a copy, rename, and replace the drawing model, but it would be so much cleaner to just have one DRW file...
Try this method. Perhaps it will satisfy your requirement.

Let us say you have a part XXXXXX-0 as the generic part. The instances of this part would be in terms of -1, -2 etc.

Create a drawing for the generic part complete with all dimensions (Preferably Driving dimensions, else certain amount of cleanup would be necessary).

For creating the drawing of the instance, choose the generic drawing as a TEMPLATE.

vlad1979 said:
So why don't you do that, if that's what you want, of course you can do it, just create one drawing, put views and dimensions for the generic or an instance doesn't matter. Then whenever you need a drawing for an instance, open this drawing, replace the drawing model, then view/update sheet, and your done. You have a drawing for the other instance. I always create drawings for every instance, why?, because in short term your method seams fine but in long term if you have for instance a instance that doesn't have a feature that the generic has, then those dimensions for that feature will "crash", and every time you need a drawing for that instance you need to create thos dimensions each time. So better to do the job once, make drawings for all instances.

Then you don't understand what i want...i don't want to have to replace the model everytime i open a drawing...when you open a family tabled ASM, you're not repalcing anything, you're chosing an instance that you know works from the last time you loaded... I don't believe what i want exaists, because if it did there would be a drawing for every part, it would just be family tabled...what you explained is not what i am looking for. thanks though...

SRINIVASANIYER1 said:
erabinowitz said:
Try this method. Perhaps it will satisfy your requirement.

Let us say you have a part XXXXXX-0 as the generic part. The instances of this part would be in terms of -1, -2 etc.

Create a drawing for the generic part complete with all dimensions (Preferably Driving dimensions, else certain amount of cleanup would be necessary).

For creating the drawing of the instance, choose the generic drawing as a TEMPLATE.

Good tactic, but also not what i am looking for. this is synonymous with the save as and/or rename. I have a feeling what I'm looking for is just not possible in PRO, but i don't see why it couldn't be...

trillicomm said:
era, you want to display the family table of the assembly on a drawing sheet?

no, I want to open a drawing associated with a family tabled part, and when i open the drawing, i want to see an instance list, like when you open a family tabled assembly. then, based on the instance i choose, a drawing will be loaded with the correct models, dims, notes etc, associated with the instance i choose, based on a family table list...identical to how it work with an ASM, but for a drawing.

trillicomm said:
Open an existing drawing

Or

Open a new (blank) drawing

Which one?

existing....i understand if this is possible, it won't happen magically (meaning it can't be a new drawing)...it would have to be setup, just like a family tabled ASM is setup...but for a drawing...

you want to open an existing drawing that has all the detailings, notes, title block..etc.

then click on some Magic button to open a list of the instances of the assembly. the list opens, then you select the right instance, hit OK, and the existing drawing becomes the selected instance..

am I on the right track? if so, tell me more..

trillicomm said:
you want to open an existing drawing that has all the detailings, notes, title block..etc.

then click on some Magic button to open a list of the instances of the assembly. the list opens, then you select the right instance, hit OK, and the existing drawing becomes the selected instance..

am I on the right track? if so, tell me more..

you're pretty much dead on....this "magic button" would do the exact same thing as when you open a family tabled assembly, and it shows you the instance list before the part is loaded....

and as you said, select the instance, and it would load that part, and all the corresponding info associated with that instance into the drawing....

do you know how to replace an instance INSIDE an existing drawing?

if you don't, follow these steps:

Open the existing drawing, go the sheet that has the ideal view detailing of an instance

RMB the sheet, select Properties, select Drawing Models, select Replace, select the model that needs replaced, it will open the list of family table of whether a part or assembly. The view will update instantly.

that's all.

ERA,

You do have the magic button... Try the method detailed by me. You will get all the features, dimensions, notes, title block ready to print.....

Post your feed back after trying....The method is not exacy as detailed by you, but then the effect is what you need, and may take two or three clicks more.

trillicomm said:
do you know how to replace an instance INSIDE an existing drawing?

if you don't, follow these steps:

Open the existing drawing, go the sheet that has the ideal view detailing of an instance

RMB the sheet, select Properties, select Drawing Models, select Replace, select the model that needs replaced, it will open the list of family table of whether a part or assembly. The view will update instantly.

that's all.
not what i'm looking for...if some else were to open the drawing, i want them to be promoted with a list of instances before the drawing loads (exactly how its is with a family tabled ASM file)...I don't want someone else to have to replace instances...and with this method, will it change values on the drawing format, ie p/n, description, signature fields, ECN rev tables (it will have to be able to add or remove rows from a table. What if there is a dim i want displayed on one instance, but not another?

SRINIVASANIYER1 said:
ERA,

You do have the magic button... Try the method detailed by me. You will get all the features, dimensions, notes, title block ready to print.....

Post your feed back after trying....The method is not exacy as detailed by you, but then the effect is what you need, and may take two or three clicks more.

won't your method mean that i have a different file for every drawing?

"exactly how its is with a family tabled ASM file" Could you please explain this a little, ASM I believe you mean a family table for an assembly, right?

As far as I know what you said about PRO-E asks you for an instance, that happens only when you first make the drawing and it happens regardless of part or assy. When you make a drawing for a family table part or assyat first it will ask you for which instance to make it, and that's it, it will never ask you again.

I understand what you want to do, but I don't think it's possible, it's like you're asking pro-e to do your job, detaling a drawing. How will pro-e know you have a dimension on one instance and on the other you don't have it.

As I see it you have 2 options:

1. if the family table doesn't involve suppressing features from on instance to another, it just changes dimensions,then make one drawing and put a repeat region table for the family table showing the dimensions that will change. If you later add instances this table will automatically update.

2. like everyone here said, including myself, and I know you don't want to hear this
smiley2.gif
, make drawings for every instance. Which is pretty easy and quick, just make one drawing, dimension it, then make a save as give it another name, open the new one and replace the model instance, update the views and your done.

PS: As for revisions, descriptions, part numbers, create parameters in generic for those, then add them to the family table and give them different value, same as you do with dimensions. This works for both method1 and 2.
Edited by: vlad1979

it sounds like Era wants to open an existing drawing THEN it pops a list of instance...

pro/drawing does NOT do that. maybe TookKit can customize such way...

sorry era, I am out on this one.

erabinowitz said:
won't your method mean that i have a different file for every drawing?
DEFINITELY.. That is the PREFERRED METHOD in my part of the world, unless the component is a simple component like KEY OR A BLOCK, in which case a FAMILY TABLE is used IN A GENERIC DRAWING.

Every instance though belonging to a family will have unique charecteristics hence will have seperate Revision numbers, weight, cost and so on...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back