Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

can’t create cyl coord system

burnsp

I can't seem to create a cylindrical coord system in WF2.In the Origin tab of the coord sys UI, the drop downstays grayed out nomatter what reference selections (plane, axis, etc) I make. I did not have this problem in WF1. I know I'm missing something - any suggestions? TIA.

Additional info... The grayed out drop down I spoke of above appears to be the offset. Inmy UIthe drop down box for Type does not exist (see image). Other Pro/E users here have the Type drop-down. It's supposed to be above the tabs. Any insights as to why mine is missing? I've restarted Pro with the same results.

View attachment 1220

I met the same problem. It seems thatwe cannot create Cyl CS in part mode. they only are available in mechanica.

In the past, Pro/E always displays Csys with X, Y & Z axis. When referencing a Csys to make other features (for example, a datum point array) the Csys can be interpreted in 3 ways: Cartesian, Cylindrical & Spherical. I think it is the same in WF2.
Edited by: dr_gallup

dr_gallup,

your reply does not correlate with the question.

ndk,

Its not a problem.

burnsp,

The solution is : create cylindrical corrdinate system before all the features except default. I mean after default coordinate system and default datum planes, click on create coordinate system and the above dialogue box will not be grayed out.

Israr

Edited by: Israr

NDK is right - you must be in Mechanica to access/create the different types of coord systems. In part mode you can only create a Cartesian Coord Sys. The odd thing is that I originally had this problem in Mechanica but today I don't.

As opposed to the above dialog box, here is the one you get when in Mechanica... Note the additional 'Type' drop down menu. Based upon my experience, it doesn't seeem to matter when/where you creae the coord sys within the model, you just need to be in Mechanica to acces the different types.

View attachment 1223

I assume you mean the difference between 2001 Mechanica and WFx Mechanica.

If I remember correctly, there was little, if anychange in Mechanica between 2001 and WF1. On the other hand, there was significant UI change between WF1 and WF2. WF2 Mechanica is more icon driven although most of the icons bring up the same dialog boxes as the menus used to. Overall, if you know 2001 Mechanica, you should have very little trouble with WF Mechanica.

Maybe others can expound upon this.

There were a number of enhancemetns between R2001 and WF1/WF2 Mechanica solver.

Analysis will run much quicker and there are less AutoGem issues with automatic connections in assemblies.

The icon based GUI saves about 30% of the clicks required before.

Also, welds and connections are much easier to define.

Here is a good link to a tutorial of WF2 Mechanica:

http://www.me.uvic.ca/~mech410/proe_tutorials.html

Enjoy

Israr...

I cannot create cyl CS in part mode, even if I use the methode you shown above... The offset type = cylindrical doesn't mean the CS created is cylinderical type. So, what's the real? can we create a true cyl CS in part mode? Here's what PTC said about CS:
<H1>About Coordinate Systems</H1>
Coordinate systems are reference features that can be added to parts and assemblies to do the following:
<UL>
<LI ="kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Bulleted">
Calculate mass properties.
Assemble components.
Place constraints for Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
Provide manufacturing operation reference for tool paths.
Use as a reference for locating other features (coordinate systems, datum points, planes, imported geometry, and so on).
For most common modeling tasks you can use coordinate systems as direction reference.</LI>[/list]
<H4>Cartesian, Cylindrical, and Spherical Coordinate Systems</H4>
Pro/ENGINEER always displays coordinate systems with an X-, Y-, and Z-axis. When referencing a coordinate system to make other features (for example, a datum point array), the system can interpret the coordinate system in three ways:
<UL>
Cartesian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back