Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CAM Functionality

rmarsha5

For Pro-E Mfg or CAM lite, I wanted know more information on these so I got some questions to give me a better idea of how the software works.

Can the software system do simple and complex parts easily?

What entity types can the Pro-E Mfg use for machining?

Can the system calculate feeds and speeds?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Are tool paths easy to edit?

Are tool paths and geometry associative?

Will the software automatically optimize feed rates?

Can you manually override defaults value easily?

Are gouge and undercut avoidance built in?

Cheers

Hello there, I will try to provide some quick answers to your questions, please see answers below.
seth

rmarsha5 said:
For Pro-E Mfg or CAM lite, I wanted know more information on these so I got some questions to give me a better idea of how the software works.

Can the software system do simple and complex parts easily? *Yes, but it depends on your definition of "easy". Doing complex parts with no prior training might classify as hard.

What entity types can the Pro-E Mfg use for machining? *You are able to machine solid models, surface models and imported geometry, though some might need more work if they are not native Pro/ENGINEER models or have surface geometry issues.

Can the system calculate feeds and speeds? *Yes, you enter nc step parameters for each toolpath. You can also automate this by using custom default parameters or inheriting parameter values from other nc steps or tool being used etc...

Are tool paths easy to edit? *Yes, toolpaths can be edited quickly but there are restrictions. For example, if you use volume milling you cannot then redefine the toolpath to be a trajectory toolpath or other type.

Are tool paths and geometry associative? *Yes

Will the software automatically optimize feed rates? *Not sure what you are asking on "automatically" optimize here. You can use relations in your nc step parameters. Example: Rather than using a numerical value for Step_depth, you could add relation STEP_DEPTH=CUTTER_DIAM/3

Can you manually override defaults value easily? *Yes

Are gouge and undercut avoidance built in? *Yes, though some nc step types act differently. For example, on a trajectory toolpath you can use no offset and and have the tool follow a curve and not consider the reference part. You can also manually add surfaces or reference part to use in gouge avoidance.

Cheers

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back