Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Calling all sheetmetal experts!

tjallen29

Hello all,

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to make a particular sheetmetal part, particularly how to punch the way I want it to, unless there's a better way to do it altogether...
rep.jpg

The image aboveis a rough representation of what I want the finished part to look like, modeled as a standard part (obviously bend radii and reliefs are not shown).

How I've been trying to do this is to start with a flat "donut" with the 5 tabs included:
2.jpg

At this point I have created a punch with the idea that I'll end up with a flanged cylindrical part, and from there I will bend the tabs out to end up with something like the image at the top.

The problem I'm having is that no matter how deep I make my punch, Pro/E wants to leave a bottom surface, so that I end up with a flanged"cup", instead of a flanged "sleeve":
3a.jpg

If I make the punch deeper, the cup justends updeeper.

If I bend the tabs out first like in the image below, I get a failure when I attempt the punch:
4.jpg

If I leave the tabs off altogether and attempt to form a flanged cylinder, I still end up with the "cup with a hole in the bottom".

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can accomplish what I'm going for? It may turn out that I'm going about this the wrong way from the get-go, but any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

tjallen,

When you do a punch form you can select a surface of the form to exclude in the options box. In doing so you will then effectively remove the material as you described, for the opening. If you form the walls deep enough then you can cut away enough for a radius, and add a flange to form the bent back tabs. You may have issues where the form splits since every circle is split into two halves.

Caution: you can draw this opening deeper with a form than the material would allow. There will be a maximum depth for a deep draw feature that you will have to find out for yourself.

take a look...

View attachment 4302

Hey Magneplanar,

Ttjallen29 was asking this question for me, I finally have gotten a chance to get back onto this part... I tried the excluding surfaces... and i don't really get anywhere... Here is a pic of my model tree. I see that ours differ greatly.

STAMPING.jpg

This is what i get?

insert-stamping.jpg

Thanks

Ken

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back