Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Calculating Volume

ERamsey

I have a part that basically looks like a Turtle Shell (for a rough mental image). I want to try to figure out the inside Volume (air area) of the shell. Although there are spots where that are recessed features along the inside of this surface.

I tried doing a Cut Out operation with a protrusion that I made through the area. It did give me the negative space (in protrusion form) that I was looking for butit alsokept the protruded area that went on after the intersecting parts (it only subtracted the area where the two parts came together). For the life of me I can not figure out how to get rid of the extra material so I can just do a mass properities calculation on the bottom negative form.

I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly or if there is a better way to determine a volume of what is basically air. If someone can point in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

create a closed volume surface which would be your "air"
volume, measure the part volume as is, then solidify the
"air" volume quilt. Then measure the part volume, and
subtract the 2 values you calculated to obtain the air
volume.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back