Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CAD-data rename tool

geertdaenen

Hello,

in our companywe receive every month a lot of CAD-data from our customers (iges, step, catia,... -files).
This CAD-data contains info of car-bumpers, dashboards, petrol-tanks, seats,...
The problem is: somethimes we receive some updates from older CAD-data. To be sure that we use the latest update, we try to give the data a unique name with the date of the day of the CAD-translation in it.

Example:
Original name: CD345_FSB
Translated Assembly name:
CD345_FSB_20090824.asm
Translated parts of the assy (date + part serial number in it):
CD345_FSB_20090824_001.prt
CD345_FSB_20090824_002.prt

But often the CAD-data contains a lot of parts, and renaming all of these parts brings a lot of work with it.
Does anybody know ifthere a program exists to rename all of these parts automatically?
Using the tool "Save A Copy" of ProE, is no solution. Because of it doesn't work fast and it doesn't generate the names automaticaly with a serial number in it.

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

Kind regards

If you are using XP I would use DOS to batch rename the files. If you did not need the serial number you could do the following otherwise you will need to a batch file with a little programming to increment the serial number.

ren C:\*.asm C:\*_20090824.asm

ren C:\*.prt C:\*_20090824.prt

Your path obviously will be different.

If they're all imported from universal data formats, I don't see why a batch renaming utility would cause any issues... Unless you've got native ProE assemblies that reference imported data. I know SolidWorks includes an app called "SolidWorks Explorer" that let's you rename files and maintain references. Give your local PTC reseller a call and see if they've got something along those lines -- and if not casually threaten to switch to SWX ;)

Good luck!

Adam

If you're really ambitious you could create a J-Link program that could do this. I think Pro/Toolkit could do this as well, however I've never used it.

J-Link is a built in Java API that provides very deep access to Pro/E functionality. However it's not for casual use. Also I've had some stability problems with it. I'm not sure how focused PTC is on maintaining it.

You should be able to do "save a copy" of the top level assembly, and when it bring up the dialog box, use the wild card naming tool to rename all components (or reuse existing).

rename* to *_20090824

or CD345_FSB* to CD345_FSB*_20090824

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back