Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Buying a New Desktop.

[-Skint-]

I am sick of my Laptop now, its a nicely spec`d Acer Ferrari 4000 which copes well with most things, but I grow impatient and want more speed etc. A nicer machine for rendering would be good too as when I use small models with Hypershot my laptop`s mice start the wheels turning !!

Obviously my main concern is that I get a machine that is more than capable of handling Pro-e with ease nomatter what I throw at it.

SO.. has anyone got anysuggestions into this spec I am intending on building for a desktop :

Nvidia Quadro FX4600 PCI Express x16 Graphics Card

Intel Quad Core Xeon L5420 ( 2.5Ghz ) Processor

500GB Sata HDrive

4GB FB DIMM Ram

Obviously all the crap that goes with it. I am looking at around

It's outstanding desktop. But pro/e uses only one core, maybe in wildfire 5 it will be better. When you wanna use 64bit wildfire then use 64bit OS and in that case you can use much more RAM. But it's only up to what you are using CAD for.

Kayo, yes I believe using xp64 must be an advantage. Its a shame that Pro-e doesnt make the most of Quad Core, however I do believe pro-e outsources certain things to quad core, such as rendering and assembly retrieval etc.

Hello,

I am using quad core & dual quad core machines and pro/e wildfire 3.0 M70 is using alwys only one core, it does not metter if machine is 32 or 64 bit.

Regards

I did speak to someone about the quad core issue, pro-e does utilise the quad core technology, just not fully. Rendering etc can bypass some processing power across etc. Obviously when using quad core the other applications we use, word, excel, outlook etc etc will not take the resources away from pro-e..... so im going quadcore anyway :)

Should pickup the new machine this week
smiley1.gif

Xeon chips arejunk Ok not junk but your better off with a Q9650 faster clock same FSB and same L2 Cache. You could go Xeon but theres no added benifits for Pro/E and it looks like you want to render. With Xeon boards you get less SLI options. Youmight want to add another FX4600 some day or two FX5600 you will want a good SLI board. If you go 64bit get 8GB of DDR 1600.

I would get XP Pro 64 not Vista 64.

pmack...

Yeah I was going to have the xp pro 64.. however it was explained to me that theres no point nowadays, its becomming more & more difficult to get new copies of xp. I did consider the fact that Microsoft will be releasing the new windows soon... however im sure it will be an amalgamation ( spell that lol ) of xp & vista and not sure whether to hold out for it or not..... anyway, vista 64 is ordered now
smiley1.gif

I read quite a few reviews about this new xeon chipset and it seems to come up trimps each time. This chip combined with the graphics card should cope with most things I throw at it
smiley2.gif

So far so good with the vista x64 and new machine.

Had a few teething troubles with other applications, photoshop and acrobat professional 8 being the two worse so far, but I have to say with Pro-e WF4.0 excellent results.

Large assemblies are much easier to handle and generally everything is running smooth & nice.Have opened a fewlarge car models and played around with some of the surfaces... with no issues as yet.

Rendering is yet to be proven to test how the graphics card handles things and also to see if the wildfire x64 bit handles it differently. I would like to get hypershot up & running too when I have time.

At the moment I have WF4.0, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Reader and Autocad LT2009, aswell as the usual word, outlook etc open. With only 4GB ram this machine is coping easily.

Looking to install WF5 alongside 4 so I can trial run that too, apparently it is more vista 64ish than wf4.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back