Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Brake Rotor Analysis

sonicsvt02

Hello,

I am currently a senior ME student and <st1:place><st1:placeName>Bradley</st1:placeName>
<st1:placeName>University</st1:placeName></st1:place> on the Formula SAE Team,
using Wildfire 2.0 Student Edition. I am trying to do a thermal analysis
on a brake rotor, but I am having some issues with mechanica. I know a Q
value(BTU) the part will see from the brake pad, but when i constrain the part with
a temperature, the entire part becomes that temperature. Long story
short, I don

Contact your CAD Administrator who is in incharge of ptc software maintenance/upgradation. Ask him to download or order ptc official training material on Structural/Thermal Analysis. We have this and this has all what you need.

Israr

Is there a way to do this without ordering the official
training material? I have a limited time to do this analysis and our
system admin takes forever to do anything. I have spent a great deal of
time on this part. I am ready to start using abaqus, hoping that it will
be easier to do the analysis.

sonics,

I have the Wildfire 2.0 Structural and Thermal Simulation
Help Topic Collection in PDF format thatI could email to
you (even zipped up, it's too big a file to attach here).

It's over 1350 pages long and looks quite thorough.

Jay,

Have you applied any boundary conditions to your rotor? Typically the swapt surfaces of the rotor will be able to reject heat rapidly, so you will need to apply a heat transfer co-efficient to these surfaces. At the moment it sounds like you have analysed the rotor as if it were perfectly insulating. Also don't forget that the analysis should not be steady-state, since application of the brake pads (and hence heat generation) is only for a few seconds at most. Brake rotor analysis is a particularly tricky analysis problem to get right, and test data helps a lot, even if it's only from one or two thermocouples.

Word of warning: If you are designing in inches, then the consistent unit of energy is not BTU, but in-lbf. Make sure you convert your values correctly. If you work in metric, the unit of heat input is Watts for parts whose length unit is metres and milliWatt for length units of millimetres.

All the best for your FSAE effort.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back