Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM on separate sheet

dmiller327

I find it necessary sometimes to have the exploded and ballooned view of an assembly on one sheet and have the BOM on the next. I'll usually move the BOM from the sheet with the ballooned view to the next sheet.

At times the BOM gets out of sync with the ballooned view on the prior page. I "move" the BOM back to the page with the view and regenerate and then move it back.

Is there a way that I can keep the balloons and the BOM in sync when they are on different pages?

don't see why you should move the BOM, a regenerate and a drawing update (view/update all sheets)should work even if the BOM is on the second sheet.

Vlad1979,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It has been awhile since a BOM and a ballooned view on separate pages have disagreed. I was reminded of this issue when looking at an oldredlined print pointing out this disagreement. I thought I would spend some time and try to get to the bottom of this issue.

I might have been mistaken when indicating that I had to move the BOM back to the ballooned view sheet. I do have to move the BOM back when adding balloons when, for example, components are added.

I always use Renerate:Model and Regenerate:Draft to update my views. (2001). Maybe I would get different results using View:Update:All Sheets.

I was wondering if my procedure where I explode and balloon my view on one sheet and then switch the BOM table to the next sheet, where I paginate it to fit is the best way of handling a BOM that will not fit on the same sheet as the exploded assembly view.

Is this how you do it?

Previously I didn't understand very well what's with moving the BOM from one sheet to another. But now I get it. It's because when you add balloons the you have to click on the BOM then on the view where to put the balloons, but since the views are on the other sheet you can't click on view.

And yes, when the BOM is not fitting on the first sheet I switch it to the second one. And when I add new components, I switch the BOM back put the balloons and then back again on the second sheet.

You should be able to show balloons by component and view and then pick the component that you want to show the balloon for if your balloons are parametric. There should not be any problem have the BOM and view on different sheets. Also, to make sure your BOM doesn't change, make sure you do a fix on each line to lock them into place. Table-->Repeat Region-->Fix Index Select the line and tell it which number it should be.
Edited by: ehorton

Actually at this end it doesn't work and my balloons and BOM are fully parametric, I can only show them like tabel / bom balloons / create balloons. Strange......I can show a balloon like you said but only after I erase a balloon and want to get it back, then show erase is working.

But for newly created balloons for me it doesn't work.

You can have 2 equal BOM tabels. One on sheet 1 another on sheet 2. One sheet 1 you can have it outside the print area, and this will contraol the ballons. Just make sure that

Yes I have for some drawingslike you describe 2 BOMs (don't know why I didn't mentioned this before) but I put the BOM on first sheet in a layer and hide that layer. Because my drawings are published in product view and if it's outside the format it's shown.

But anyway I prefer to have one BOM on the second sheet and move it from one sheet to another, it's one click. As for those 2 BOM's, for me at least it's a lot of work to keep them the same, I have a lot of filters and sorting, and some time flat-recursive.

But anyway, it's a matter of preference.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back