Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

black edge display in Creo 2.0

michaelpaul

I just installed Creo 2.0 on my machine to experiment a bit with it since my company won't be doing a company wide upgrade for some time.

as a former SW user, one of the things I saw in the what's new webinar was the ability to have your edges display in black. after installing the software, the option in file-options-system colors-graphics has the shaded edge color set to black. but my shaded image in my creo window still looks like it always did in WF 5.0. tangent edges are just displayed in the same color as my model.

am I missing a setting? I'll concede, I've only fired up Creo 2.0 for about an hour and have been messing around with a variety of things so I haven't really delved deeply into it yet.

thanks

Going by Creo 1 and assuming it's the same: the config option is display and you can also findthe selection for thisin the Entity Display section of the Creo Parametric Options dialog as Default geometry display.

I think this is what you are looking for. There is a drop down in the menu bar above the graphics window that lets you move between shading, wireframe, shading with edges, hidden, etc. Hopefully this helps.

View attachment 5684

I never have liked seeing the edges like that, I prefer to see the part as it appears in reality.

cklem said:
I think this is what you are looking for. There is a drop down in the menu bar above the graphics window that lets you move between shading, wireframe, shading with edges, hidden, etc. Hopefully this helps.

great!

I didn't look at that pull down in great detail.

dross said:
I never have liked seeing the edges like that, I prefer to see the part as it appears in reality.

It must be something genetic in salidworks users. They rant and rave about this.

I like the edges. I find myself turning them on when making sketches. That way I can see walls - ribs w/o turning shade off.

dr_gallup: I get a lot of mileage out of using the term 'saladworks'

I get a bit frustrated with PTC's circular thinking by coping solidworks and solidworks coping Creo. Real innovation comes from research and trying to do new things.
Edited by: design-engine

dr_gallup said:
dross said:

It must be something genetic in salidworks users. They rant and rave about this.

it's just a preference. personally, i find I can see model far better wit the tangent edges solid versus the way Pro-E has traditionally displayed them. I never view anything with hidden lines displayed but i have the option to do it so somebody must like it or else it wouldn't be included.

You can always view it with no hidden, gives you the same thing without the shading which can reflect in ways that canmake it impossible to see anything. This is the way that I view in sketcher. I only use shaded when assembling an assembly.

For a slightly different take, try
Shading with Edges ON
then go into Options>Entity Display and set
Tangent Edges Display Style NO DISPLAY.

This just displays true edges - it makes it easy to spot
model faults, unclutters the display and speeds things up.

Edited by: moriarty

Ive been asking for both Knot Display (isoparms for Alias folks) The knot is where two polynomials are joined with an edit point called mulispan curves which makes multi span surfaces.

and to be able to multi shade surfaces each a various shade of yellows to to better determine at a glance how the surface patches are created.

If I own ISDX I also want special tools in Pro/E sketcher mode.

Im making a massive PDF of enhancements if anyone wants to email me images and their thoughts Ill add it to my document with your email etc if you wish. [email protected]

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer to see hard edges but not tangent edges in shaded view, but all edges in wireframe view. This made it easier to see what I was doing in shaded view, but I could easily see the tangent edges if necessary by switching to wireframe view. Wildfire did this for me, but I can't figure out how to do it in Creo. Is there something I can set in the config to do that? Maybe change the colors of tangent edges(I haven't figured out how to do that)?

I completely agree, moriarty suggestion is good in shaded mode, but in hidden line mode I'd rather have tangent edges as before. The point here is that we should be able to customize model appearance in each view state (maybe a mapkey can be defined). Also, do you remember how in Wildfire 4 it was possible to have reflections AND edges turned on? I used it a lot while modeling guitars.

Paolo

I've found the edge display helpful when I have to make a lot of rounds on a part. I can easily see where I've missed when I turn it on. Otherwise I can't stand it.

You might like to have a black background with inverse line colour. You can do this by going to File>Option>System Colors>Color Scheme: Dark.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back