Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

bi-metallic temperature compensation

tristany3

Hi pals!

I am writting this post to know how I can make (if can be done) thermal analysis of bimetallic compensation devices.

a bimetallic device pair of metals with differnt thermal expansion welded together in a string, when the temperature rises or lowers, the string deflects and triggers a device.

the system I want to calculate is an old bimetallic balance from a watch. This balance of Guillaumde design, made of invar alloy with open arms and a rim of brass welded at the otsdide: the bimetallic device.

using a steel hairspring, it's coeficient of elasticity varies greatly from one temperature to another: in a heat enviroment it is softer and in a cold enviroment is toughter, but the balance compensates this defects: i hotter enviroments the arms deflect invars (to the center) and thus the moment of inertia is lesser to cope with the softer spring, thus maintaining the watch rate, and viceversa for the cold side: in the cold side, the arms deflect outvards, increasing the inertia moment to deal with the now stronger hairspring.

well, my question is if there's any Pro/E tool where I can simulate this stuff(I use wildfire3) or there's any other third party application to deal with this problem, Pro/E friendly.

What I want to find is, given the geometry of the system and the imput of the material's values, the deformation of the model, thusallowing me to later calculate it's inertia, thorough a degree of temperatures.

ech_30_mk2_test2_8b2.jpg

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back