Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Best Rendering software for under $1,000

6DOF

Group,

What rendering software would you recommend for under $1000?

I have no idea what the typical costs are for this type of
software. I need something that can handle refractive indices so
I'm currently looking at upgrading to ARX. However, since I don't
know much about this type of software, I was hoping to get some
feedback from the group as to whether there's something better in this
price range.

Oh yeah, I need something that 's fairly intuitive. I've looked
at POVRAY (which appears to be very nice) but it looks very cryptic to
me.

Thanks!

6dof,

I recommend a two part package that tops out slightly above your limit. The software is rhino nurbs modeling with the add on flamingo rendering package. The two work together and rhino is needed for the rendering module. Great function and if you check the website I think you will be impressed with the outputs. I do not work for them or have any affiliation. I do, however, like the software.

cheers...

M

I also have a ACIS modeler, Concepts Unlimited, used primarily by Industrial Designers, and a number of them recommend Maxwell Render, which is around that price.

There's no plugin for Pro/E, but I'm pretty sure it takes IGES. Its big feature is easy to use natural lighting.

Just search on Maxwell Render and you will find lots of information.

Only thing negative with Maxwell I hear are the render times. Can be prohibitively long...but the images I've seen are nice.
Edited by: coolntn1

Take a look at TrueSpace
www.caligari.com

Also agree with Magneplanar, Rhino is a nice easy-to-use package and flamingo a powerful renderering engine (but do they come for less than 1000$?)

I ended up trying ARX, which worked well. I was satisfied with the quality of the images that were produced. I also tried Rhino/Flamingo. I like it. It fairly easy to use, quite powerful and overall a nice package.

However, I ended up going with Blender. It works well for our needs. It did come with a bit of a learning curve, but it didn't take long to come up to speed thanks to all of the online tutorials and resources. I highly recommend it. I also recommend it to anyone who just wants to have some fun with a very nice rendering and animation tool. You can't beat the price (free), and there's plenty of help online to get you up to speed quickly.

www.blender.org

Oh yea...don't know why I didn't mention before...

Cinema 4D is also a good and fast renderer. I forget what the price is for the core package, but sure it's under $1,000.

The modeler portion of Cinema is lacking, but the core renderer is good and again renders fast.

I've used the renderer doing concepts for major appliances and also had good results.

I've been experimenting with different third party renderers outside ARX.

a) Alias Imagestudio

is slightly above your budget. PRO : It uses mental ray for rendering so you definitly get high quality images, you can read native pro files, nice materials come standard, std room settings, rotating platform render, renders pretty fast, comes with render nodes. CONTRA : material library is to limited, rooms are to limited, works slow with large assemblies, besides the rotating platform you cant do animations(you can find a trial verison at the link)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6860843&si teID=123112

b) Maxwell render

Is below your budget. PRO : Uses natural light based on surroundings, so you dont need to fiddle with lamps, occlusion etc. Reads obj files which works very well, there is a large support community and material database, comes with render nodes, hdri can be used, refractions are possible.CONTRA : there is a learning curve because you need to know something about photography to get it exactly right, render time is slow if you dont use render nodes, i found it a tad unstable, not alot of 'default rooms' so you need to model what you want (outside maxwell), you cannot do animations if you use it standalone, but if you buy the cinema4D or rhino plugin i GUESS you can. (a trial is available from the website). I will still purchase a license anyway, but wait until version 1.5

http://www.maxwellrender.com/

c) Carrara

This is actually the one I purchased after testing these 3.

Is alot below your budget (442$) http://www.novedge.com/products/1510PRO : cheap, easy to use, lots of import possibilities (iges step acis obj and lots more), lots of scenes come with the package, lots of materials come with the package, easy 3D modeller built in the software, easy animations (really easy), bone skeleton modeller, easy to use interface, lots of std objects, render nodes, pretty fast renderer on multicore pc's, use of sound, videos is possible inside the renderer , easy material creator, landscape creator, nice plugins (cheap) like toon renderer, wireframerender, hdri can be used, refractions are possible.CONTRA : smaller usergroup?, difficult to find materials, no decent realtime rendering during room setup of textures, and surroundings (hdri maps, backdrops, ....), you dont always get the result you want (as in 99% real like render) or you need to investigate some serious time. (trial download available from link)

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara_5/-/

Hope it helps,

Nick
Edited by: dojo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back