Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Best Pro/E Viewing Software

jerryt

Looking fortheBESTPro/E viewer that can view drawings andVery Largemodels and assemblies for non-cad manager.

Whats the best out there?

ProductView from PTC is the best. I am not talking about productView express.

I have seen it handle asm with 500.000 compoments on a laptop without any problem in the graphic when rotation and zooming.

It can view a lot of different file formats

Apart from ProductView Express, there is ProductView Light and ProductView Full. I suppose you have the full version in mind, because the light version is awfull on measuring.

Regards, Hugo.
ps.: the Light version is part of Windchill PDMLink.

eDrawings for Pro/ENGINEER might be an alternative, I haven't tried it for that large asm:s though.

//Peter

As far as I know eDrawings doesn't support Intralink environment and does publish objects only on demand, what I think is useless, when working in collaborative environment.

Hello everybody,

At my current workplace we use productview(full)to communicate designs to the manufacturing departmentand I have never had a problem with it. My company produces caravans and motorhomes so as you can imagine we need the viewer to handle huge assemblies, which is does well. I use edrawings for my personal work which i find extremely easy to use.

howdy folks,

i have to agree with mechstundent3.
where i work we mainly have assemlies with
about 2k t 3k parts in them and we use
edrawings to communicate with the
guys in the assembly dept. i think it's great
'cause first of all the free version has enough
capabilties for our use and also because the file
size is so small it even run on a mainstream laptop
with no problems and you don't need access to parent
ptc files anymore.

Thanks to all for the help, but one more thing.

I really want the viewer to view native files so I don't have spend the time converting them.

Can edrawings view native Pro/E 3-D files or does it need to convert the format?

ProductView is also converting the files from native format to the lightweight viewable format.

Myriad has a plug-in option that is suppossed to read native Pro/E files. If I remember, Autovue and maybe Spicer Imagination also have this option. These products are not free and the ability to open native Pro/E files is an extra cost module.

If you want to read native ProE files, and you want free viewer then only one I can think of is Hoops 3D viewer. Although you might have problems while opening large assemblies with it.
As for ProductView full version I don't think it is free, but if other have great experience with it then it is the right choice.

How much does ProductView cost?

I loaded Express, but, it's not going to cut it for my back and forth interaction with my supplier base.

Thanks,

Captn

edrawings does require conversion, which is a pain.

I searched for viewers a while ago, without much luck. My company had put a "free or low cost" limitation on the search, which didn't help. We ended up sticking with ProductView Express.

One thing I noticed, even on some more expensive viewers, is that they would work with models (parts and assemblies) but not with the .drw file. Your original post mentioned drawings, so that may be something to watch for.

How well do these viewers work with Intralink? We would love to have people around the company be able to view Pro/E parts and assemblies, but that seems to be impossible thru Intralink. We'd either need to give everybody Intralink access (and teach them how to use it) or export the parts out of Intralink. Does anybody have to deal with this?

bobmann said:
How well do these viewers work with Intralink? We would love to have people around the company be able to view Pro/E parts and assemblies, but that seems to be impossible thru Intralink. We'd either need to give everybody Intralink access (and teach them how to use it) or export the parts out of Intralink. Does anybody have to deal with this?

Productview (full version) is perfect for this. You can set it up to run every night and publish everything that was checked in to intralink the night before. You can publish everything. It's made for Intralink users.

wildfire 3 tips

we also use the free version of E-drawings. It works great with small assemblies. However we have issues when we use it with larger assemblies (100 parts or more). Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do so we can use it on larger assemblies?

SAMOTH said they use with 2k to 3k assemblies. Up till then I was gusseing that we needed to buy a license, but now I don't think we need to.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back