Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Best 5 button mouse for proe

rebeccab

I am looking for a 4 or 5-button mouse where I can program the thumb button to act as shift/ctrl. Are there any suggestions?
Edited by: rebeccab

rebeccab,

I'm using a logitech mx518. It has 2 thumb buttons, 3 middle buttons plus a scroll wheel & the usual right, left button capability. It works great for what I need.

Hope this helps.

If your going to spend the money why not get a motion controler like a SpaceNavigator ($60) or a SpaceTraveler from http://www.3dconnexion.com/

Then you don't need to program a button for CTRL or SHIFT (assuming you want that for being able to move/rotate models with one hand.) Heck you could probably pick up an older SpaceBall off ebay pretty cheap. Being able to zoom, pan and rotate all at the same time save a lot of time.

I use the MX518 for my mouse and a SpaceBall 4000FLX... I love the MX518 and use it here and at home. The SpaceBall 4000FLX I got brand new off of Ebay about a year ago for $80 and is well worth the money.

mx700 8 buttons. sweet

use one for open

one for save

one set working directory

one close window

one for activate window

one for regenerate

plus others

I use a mouse called Evoluent. Its a 5 button mouse and I've set the thumb button to shift. This way I zoom and rotate with the wheel,pan with thumb button and wheelbutton.

Needed something for the pain in my arm and this muse has done the job. If I spend half a day on a "flat" mouse my elbow start to ache.

I have the MS wireless Laser Mouse 5000 and I can't get it to work well no matter how I configure it
smiley19.gif
Spinning is very arbitrary and unpredictible. Looks like I'll be switching back to my old, reliable 3 button Logitech mouse.

FireWild said:
I have not herd anyone having good luck with a wireless mouse.A cord is the best way to go.

My mx700 mouse (and keyboard for that matter) is wireless and it works great!

i also have problems with my ms laser 5000 mouse. Although it is wireless, i don't think that is the cause of my problems with it. I guess because the scroll can be moved to the left and right, when you try to rotate, it just behaves unpredictably.

Now revert back to the old trusting logitech 3b scroll mouse! no problems at all.

Yeah - that is exactly the problems thatI see with it
smiley19.gif

Jotry said:
i also have problems with my ms laser 5000 mouse. Although it is wireless, i don't think that is the cause of my problems with it. I guess because the scroll can be moved to the left and right, when you try to rotate, it just behaves unpredictably.

Now revert back to the old trusting logitech 3b scroll mouse! no problems at all.

Steve<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I use it for ProE - and everything else. If its big? .. hmm .. its tall, but it kind of has to be as you held you're hand almost vertical. It does take some getting used to, but I got familiar with it very fast. The scroll is detented on vertical mouse 3.Vertical mouse 2was not detented, but the first was (almost as an no-detented mouse was not well recieved??) I think it is very comfortable to moveand work with the mouse, but most important it keeps me free from any pain and discomforts!!! Don't know if its any big deal or not, I'm not very conversant with different mouse

You might try Logitech MX1000 and set the FastForward button to MMB. Then you have all three mouse buttons plus scroll wheel available.
This works well for me.

For the same money I'll use this and whatever 3 button mouse came with the machine. I'm able zoom, pan and rotate all at the same time. Move model with one hand and select object with the other.

Just a note to you who are planning on bying the Evoluent VerticalMouse: It's designed for tiny office women hands!

I got mine today.

Edited by: m-d-e

audctrl said:
For the same money I'll use this and whatever 3 button mouse came with the machine. I'm able zoom, pan and rotate all at the same time. Move model with one hand and select object with the other.

Great! Now i can have carpal tunnel in both wristeses!
smiley4.gif

Well, we don't wan't one wrist to feel left out now do we.... lol And there is another benefit, you can have more time off work when you stagger the surgeries. ha ha

Seriously though, I think these motion controllers are a great investment and increase productivity. Not to mention cool for flying around in google earth. I really like my SpaceBall (older version of the picture). Another time saver is the dual screens. Not having to flip through or minimize windows also saves time. I like having a marked print on one screen and the model on the other.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back