Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bend object with single feature

Hardik M

Hello

I made this component in sheetmetal. i would like to bend both side with single feature. I don't want to do it separately. Can any one have suggestion.

Thanks

Hardik

Edited by: Hardik M

You can create a bend across the entire body without the cuts around the flanges.

Next create an unbend for the entire bend

Next make cuts. (you can actually make the cuts before the unbend but you cannot make the cuts part of the original flat plate, if you are going to punch out the holes then add a bend then unbend and bend back...)

Now if you do a bend-back you can select the portions you would like to remain flat.

This is a bit convoluted but it does keep the part to one bend (still three features)

If you are using wildfire (at least 2 and 3)you can create the flat portion without the bent tabs, then add the tabs as secondary features. Once you create one then you can copy and paste the second.

Hi Jraquet,

What you are trying to say its an alternate option? U know practically its possible to make those bends at one shot after punching. Bending operation is like keeping the dies on that particular area to bend and maintaining the gap in between those dies.

Practically its possible to bend then why cant software?

Dear Ashok,

This is possible only if you do not have any other material crossing the bend line. In case you have material crossing the bend line, the dies are placed apart while bending. Hence essentially it is two different bends. However, Logic says...why not like excluding some surfaces from bending....

Hi srini,

Practically its possible even if the material crossing the bend line. By keeping the dies at particular area where u wanna bend the material and without keeping the dies under the material which crosses the bend line...moving the punch on the particular dies can make a bend at one shot.
It easily bends without affecting the material which is in between those two dies.
Thats what i tried to say, practically its possible why cant software?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back