Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Basic Dimenions Help

sawgolf4me

I have a question about basic dimensions. I have a basic dimension than I want to put 2X in front of. But I want it outside the Basic dimension box. Everything I try, puts the text inside the box. Is there a way to put it on the outside but inline with hte dimensions and the dimension arrows?

Set your dimension properties to "Neither". Then type"2X @[@d@]' for the dimension text. (Omit the quotes).
Edited by: appinmi

Now your dimension is not set as a basic dimension. Just create a note "2X" and align with dimension and assign it to the dimension. Now your dimension is set as it should and the 2X is out side the basic box.

You change the dimension as appinmi says and then change it back to a basic dimension. The dimension stays the same after the change.

I looked this up in ASME Y14.5M-1994 and it is not really addressed as to where the 2X should be located. Inside or outside the box. I have found that the figures they show have it both ways. We put the 2X inside the box because it is the fastest way.

Sounds like a lot to do to me. Where is it written that this method is the correct method for this? As far as the standard, just have the 2X in the box. Any method outside of this is a work around when comes to Pro/E. So please explain to me why turning off basic, adding @[@] and then changing the dimension back to basic is the correct method.

Solidworks puts the text outsie the box, So who's right? or What's theright way to doit?
Edited by: arroyopr

It IS absolutely addressed in the ASME Y14.5-1994 Standard, Paragraph 1.9.5.1, page 20. So to respond to the latest post, EVERYBODY is right! It can go "inside or outside the basic dimension frame." I do agree, though, that one should just use the format for the basic dimension thatyour software allows (or limits, rather) you to use, instead of a text "edit", an added/associated note,or other "workaround".

With the dimension already existing as a BASIC dimension, go into dimension text properties and enter 3X 1.5(= @D) This is assuming the 4.50 overall basicdimension is the oneyou want toedit. If 1.50 is the basic dimension you want to edit, then enter 3X @D (= 4.50)

Let me know if this is what you are looking to do.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back