Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Axis through obround hole?

barnam

How do you create an axis through the center of an obround hole? In other cad systems, I'd create a sketch from the centers of the radii on the ends of the hole, then place a sketch point on the center of that line. Get out of the sketch, then place my axis on that point and perpendicular to the plane. Pro E won't let me select a point on the center of the line. I tried the sketch->axis point command too, but for some reason the menu option is greyed out. I now am messing around wiht sketched datum points, and then placing my axis on that, but that's also slow and messy. For some genius reason, you can't sketch lines while in the sketched datum point tool so I have to make a bunch of referencs and make interscting centerlines, and place my point on the intersection. I have many to do in my assembly and that will take forever.

Any suggestions?

You cannot create an axis point in a stand alone sketch. If you redefine your extruded feature to make your sketch internal, the axis point command becomes available. That's probably the easiest way to do it, but it will break the relationship between the stand alone sketch and the extrude.

That's one of the dirty little secret of stand alone sketches - no axis points.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back