Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Axis for symmetrical parts

BrankoD

When I make symmetrical parts with symmetry constraint in part sketcher, is it possible to automatically represent symmetry plane from part sketcher as a axis in drawing? Thanks in advance!

Not automatic.

If you have a hole in the center, you can get the axis. Else, you can only have a draft line.

This is so because, if you have a symmetric part without a hole, the axis is IMAGINARY and does not exist.

Axis is always imaginary :) That is my practice, I create hole ih the middle and show axis in drawing and then I supress hole in the model. Other method is to create axis in model. I hope guys from PTC will make option to represent symmetry plane as a axis in drawing.

My template parts have 3 planes and an axis. That way, if it has any form of symmetry just align the sketch(s) to the axis & your set. If the part doesn't need the axis it is easy to delete it. Fully 80% of my parts have revolved features that need the axis.

You don't have to have a hole in the model to create an axis.

You can create an axis at the intersection of two datum planes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back