Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

AutoGEM Issue

Dilip

I have a modeled a component in Autodesk Inventor Series 9.0 for my customer who want to mesh it in ProE. When they did that with AutoGEM option they are getting the following message.

"AutoGEM may not be able to complete because the volume boundaries either intersect or overlap near the highlighted surfaces "

(Voilet colored marks are shown atfour places).

Could you guide me to understand what is the error. And how can we rectify this in the model ?

Dillip,

Are you using IGS or STEP to transfer your geometry to ProE? You may want to use STEP instead of IGES. Also, there should be accuracy setting in Inventor that you cah tweak to create better geometry before creating the translation file.By the way, I don know how complex is your spring but your costumer should be able to reacreated with proE without any problem.

Luis

Dilip:

The violet colored marks are basically the edges where Mechanica is having problems creating elements.

One of the major reasons why you might have got this error.
1. Two overlapping surfaces have end edges that are not co-linear, and are too close too each other. So Mechanica is trying to create elements there, and that fails the min/max element size criteria of the application.

The only thing I can suggest you to do at this time is try modifying your geometry so that you don't have the edges too close, and that should solve the problem.

Some of the other reasons would be:

1. element incompatibility, you have solids connected with spring elements(point to point connection), and Mechanica has a problem creating elements there

2. If you are working on an assembly, try to simplify your parts as much as you can, and run the global intereference check before you perform any analysis. That will tell you if you have any intering parts, and if you do, Mechanica is not going to create a mesh for you.

3. Also you dont want to have too much clearance in your parts. Eg a ski-plate resting on the base and the ski- radius is slightly different than the base pasrt radius. In that case, you are going to see high stress concentration zones in the ski-plates, which you dont want, unless that is your data of interest.

Hope this helps

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back