Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

At the end of my rope

mark c

smiley19.gif
My biggest regret in life was coming to my present job to use Pro E.

I hate this softeware with a passion.

Yeah dude that's a pretty bold statment..... Tell us your complaints are you comming from Solid Works or a different CAD software? Pro-e is a good software but you need to have good hardware and training in place to make it work for you. You needneed to get aconfig.pro set up right, start parts, drawing templates, and mapkeys these things can make a world of difference. Post out the problems you are having and we will see if we can help...

We all have been there before and feel your pain.

FireWild, well put.

One cannot expect to pick up the software with no training or support and be efficient with it.

mark c said:
smiley19.gif
My biggest regret in life was coming to my present job to use Pro E.

I hate this softeware with a passion.

I promise, i feel your pain.

My latest problem just absolutely PISSED ME OFF!!! In SW, this is a simple two step process, in Po/E doesn't seem to be possible. Pro/E's BOM'ing sux ).( !!!

I think it is not so bad...

You could be introduced to work with Paint!

This tool I think is less user friendly - limited "Undo" option, sh*ty interface, less configuration freedom

the correct perspective is the major condition in such situation

Its not for everybody. It takes years to get up to speed & then contant retraining & updating. Some/most may never get to that point where, I think they used to call it, you're'thinking in 3D'. If you're coming from 2D, its especially tough (there's only so many D's we can work with, you know). If you're coming from another 3D CAD and your married to the old menu clicks, then you'll have another set of challenges you can read all about in the other posts (i.e. proe sux, ptc sux, etc.). If you don't want to suffer anymore, just quit now & go into sales. One thing though, if by some freak occurance, you do get it, if some parallel existence gets hold & you do become proficient, you'll get to a point where you'll be soaring, singing & all thoserocky timesyou had learning & stumbling will turn into just more stepping stones.What's it gonna be?

That's a pretty bold statement ! mabye you just don't know what you are doing, or a more accurate statement you don't know how ProE is structured. Once you master some of the basic concepts in ProE part modeling, parent / child relationship .... feature based modeling etc. and some basic assembley techniques ProE is very easy. !

Instead of complaining, stop trying to make complicated parts and assemblies. Start with making a few simple part.... make a cube with a hole in it add some rounds / chamfers ... whatever. Make another similar simple part. Create an assembly. assembly the 2 or 3 parts you made. create a drawing show some of the dimensions.

now start modifing the drawing or the parts... now you may be getting to the point where you know the menu structure, and what happens when you make changes to the parts.

Now try your luck designing something a little more complicated.

Remember capture you design intent as you model your parts ! how you dimension and constrain the parts and assemblies is very important !

Hey there Mark C,

You have a pretty good audience any chanceyou are going to respond? Or should we just assume the worst has happened with the rope thing?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

smiley36.gif

That's awful, the poor guy is suffering. I came from a SolidWorks background and the transfer to ProE was initially tough as you have found but I found one day things just clicked and I got to grips with it. Hopfully you'll find the same......well, as long as the worst hasn't happened and you've toppped yourself
smiley11.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back