Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Are spirals possible within pro-e?

Jabba

Hey guys

Just another quick question- I am interested in the spiral plates from 3-jaw chucks, and how they are used to ensure all 3 jaws move simultaneously. Is it possible to model a spiral in pro-e? what methods would you guys recomend?

I'm going totry and model it for the rest of the day most likely so i might be able to come up with a method but any hints would be great.

Thanks for your time guys

"jabba" Dan Hutt

Hi,

Check the curve bellow.

Based on the description that you gave, I think the curve that you are expecting is similar to the one above. I used curve by equation.

x=(15+10*t)*cos(360*5*t)
y=(15+10*t)*sin(360*5*t)
z=0

10 is the radial distance between the ends and 5 is the number of turns required.

Regards,
Shankar

Hi again guys

sorry shankar but im having difficulty incorporating that information you gave me-how exactly are you modelling the spiral so that you can input that information?

im not the most proffecient user and am mostly self taught-all ive managed to come up with is a pattern command with incremental radial length, or a patterned spiral fill

but this means to get a smooth spiral effect i need to produced a pattern of a hole with a few thousand copies to even look correct! ha

obviously this is an incorrect method to use, could you please tell me how you meant for me to use the information you provided -if possible please?

sorry to be a pain and thanks for the help
Edited by: Jabba

Hi Jabba,

Shankar refers to the following:

Start new part, then Insert > Model Datum > Curve > From Equation > Done

Select Coordinate system as origin of curve > Cartesian, then enter Shankar's formula in the text editor... and follow the prompts to complete..

Once you've got the curve you can generate an extrusion or extruded cut using the curve as the path.....

Hope that helps!

Regards
Edited by: n.f.thomas

n.f. Thomas

I have tried creating curves using formulas before. I copied shankar's formuala exactly several times. When I try to create the curve. It just says cannot create curve. I must be entering the text wrong, but I never have figured out why.

Any suggestions?

better still ... save as the rel.ptd file under a different name.. and post that..

are you using IE and notepad??

it should look like this in notepad

--------------------

/* For cartesian coordinate system, enter parametric equation
/* in terms of t (which will vary from 0 to 1) for x, y and z
/* For example: for a circle in x-y plane, centered at origin
/* and radius = 4, the parametric equations will be:
/*&nbs p; x = 4 * cos ( t * 360 )
/*&nbs p; y = 4 * sin ( t * 360 )
/*&nbs p; z = 0
/*---------------------------------------------------------- ---------
x=(15+10*t)*cos(360*5*t)
y=(15+10*t)*sin(360*5*t)
z=0

the file "rel.ptd" is a odd bird....always has been

you can save it .... look at your folder and see that it's there.. but for what ever reason... when proe does something that needs it... it eats it up and it disappears from your folder

check it out.... createnew work dir ... do the curve by eq. paste in the eq... save the file first before closing out in proe .. look in your work dir folder... hey it there

rel.ptd.. the default save.. close it in proe.... all the sudden it no longer exist in the folder.....

there are a number of sample equations if you google around ...here's one

http://www.synthx.com/tom/sy_tip_0504.htm

it depends what your looking for...

t is the biggie.... what it does is goes from 0 to 1.... sort of your loop mutiplier

and it generally works a little easier if you define parameters first then use them instead of numeric values in the equation.... then you edit the values in your prams and regen.. instead of going all the way to the equation with edit defination

say I wanted a helix I could put the values in the eq. and change them there if needed but if I write it as;.. in a cylinderical eq

r=rad
theta=t*360*turns
z=t*ht

then I just deal with modifing the parameters.. either way works.. you just have to define them before you set up the eq. end

shankar_me said:
Based on the description that you gave, I think the curve that you are expecting is similar to the one above. I used curve by equation.

x=(15+10*t)*cos(360*5*t)
y=(15+10*t)*sin(360*5*t)
z=0

10 is the radial distance between the ends and 5 is the number of turns required.
Shankar,

Does the above curve describe an Archemedian Spiral? If not it may not satisfy the requirement of a 3-Jaw TRUE Chuck.

Just wanted to say thanks to shanker and nf thomas-I managed to get the spiral to work and am now just playing around with it-you guys really helped so thanks a lot
smiley1.gif

Jabba

The spiral in the three jaw chuck is pretty much as the equation above. The actual spiral on the jaws of the chuck are cut to match the spiral of the chuck and must be placed in the chuck in order in there proper place. This keeps them coming together correctly.

Shankar, your are great!!!!!!

In my usual work in Pro_E, I never used a curve generated by an equation. I used your sugestion, it work very well!!!!!!!!

Best Regards

Sergio

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back