Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Appearance Editor Issue

ricer

I have been trying to save a series of colors in my Appearance Editor. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit to the number of colors that you can have saved in the Editor?

After I create my new colors I save the Editor's File. Then at the end fo the day I shutdown. The next morningI will boot back up and open Pro E. When I open and load the file all the colors I just added the day before are not there.

Thus I am wondering if there is a number to the amount of colors you can have saved..?

Any Help Will Be Appreciated.

Thanks

Ricer,

More likely that you have an issue with your config.pro. Make sure that the location where you are saving the colors file is that same as the path in your config.pro file. (I always leave my colors file in the workbench)

Kev

I have had a file that I saved a long time ago in a folder where I do most of my modeling that is a different location than the one that is pulled by the config.pro. I have had no problems adding colors to it in the past this is a new issue.

Do you still suggest the same?

Ricer,

I'm assuming you have WF3

The following is the config option for WF, but yours should be fairly similar

Config Option Value

system_colors_file - D:\workbench\syscol.scl

Kev
Edited by: prohammy

ricer said:
I have had a file that I saved a long time ago in a folder where I do most of my modeling that is a different location than the one that is pulled by the config.pro. I have had no problems adding colors to it in the past this is a new issue.

Do you still suggest the same?

Yes to this

Kev

The file I am working with is a .dmt file.

I don't see it in the config.pro.

I found the system_colors but not a reference the .dmt (Color and Appearance)

ricer said:
The file I am working with is a .dmt file.

I don't see it in the config.pro.

I found the system_colors but not a reference the .dmt (Color and Appearance)

Ricer,

You won't 'see' the .dmt file in the config.pro, you have to change the valve of the config option to 'point' it towards the location of this file using the browse option beside the value

KevView attachment 3573
Edited by: prohammy

@Kev

I have tried every option and combination I could think of, but ProE doesn't read my color files...

I have .dmt file, and ProE doesn't read it????

Here is list I have tried:

set pro_colormap_file to D:\Configs\Colors - directory where my .dmt file is
set system_color_files to D:\Configs\Colors\appearance.dmt
put my .dmt file in folder where my config.pro is

And results, nothing, when I load ProE, in Appearance editor is empty, it have only referent color.

Andy idea, or suggestion?
Also I see that you use some syscol.scl, what is that file, and how did you create it?

I forgot to mention; I use WildFire 3.0 32 bit version on Windows XP 64 bit version

TIA

Edited by: Isair

Isair,

Afraid I am running WF not WF3 and I know that there are filename differencesbetweenthose two versions(thanks PTC), but here goes anyway....

syscol.scl is created from View>-Display Settings>-System Colors>-File>-Save (Don't know WF3 route but try menu mapper on PTC's site to help you find that one) and I ALWAYS save this to my workbench and ref that in the config file

pro_colormap_pathNOT(pro_colormap_file) points to the color.map in myP:\pro_stds\configs directory

Kev

Kev

Thanks for clearing it up. As I was afraid of, you are talking about system color scheme, not appearance editor.
Yes in Wildfire 3.0 is the same drill to create system color file.

Now I'm sure that this config option isn't for appearance editor.

Still I have problem reading appearance.dmt file. ProE seams to read only color.map file, and if there arent one, it have only referent color.

Does anyone knows how make ProE read .dmt appearance files, or how to convert them to .map files?

TIA

Edited by: Isair

I'm working on WF2, and i am running into that same problem.

So far this is what i tired to do;

pro_colormap_path (and the directory where that .dmt file is located) no luck there.

pro_colormap_path (tried changing the appearance.dmtback tocolor.map file) and still no luck.

It seems to me like the only file it reads is the original one (...\ptc\proeWildfire 2.0\graphic-library\appearances) which i did make a new color and saved it over that original one and it did seem to work. (pro_colormap_path ...\ptc\proewildfire 2.0\graphic-library\appearances). So i would just point the path/directory back to that.

Had the same problem as Torchwood....with WF2

Did a bit of trial and error and found that:

Pro/E by default loads the "appearance.dmt" filelying inthe loadpoint directory (the start up directory for the pro/e command/icon) ignoring the pro_colormap_path setup.

so delete any appearance.dmt file at the loadpoint....most likely it should work.

Cheers....Rajib

Old thread...but I just resolved the same problem in WF5. In order to get My Appearances to populate with my saved appearances, the config.pro option needs to be:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=ltr>

pro_colormap_path D:\ProE_Root_M080\Directories\Appearances\</BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, the name of the file in that directory should be "appearance.dmt".

I think some of you are struggling with this because the
config.pro is probably not saved in the right location.

I am no expert on config options, but this is what I have
found works for me -
1) always save config.pro in the "Start" directory (right
click on your ProE icon - Properties - the directory
specified under "Start in"). ProE will typically override
all other versions of config.pro with this version.
2) save your appearances to "appearance.dmt"
3) set pro_colormap_path to the directory where this dmt
is saved.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back