Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Any major improvements in WF 4.0?

jelston

Are there any major improvements in WF 4.0? I am more concerned with bug fixes than new features (as should PTC) but new features are fine.

Some areas I am interested in are:

-License borrowing, re-checking the license before the assigned time.

-I would like to open multiple files at the same time.

I could do this all day, if you would, just list some improvements you saw in WF 4.0. Thanks
Edited by: jelston

No, I think that's standard PTC!
smiley4.gif
Sorry to hear that!

Actually there are fewer crashes, but still see some bugs. I would wait 6 months to a year.
Edited by: mgnt8

I might be wrong but the graphics look better with Real time turned on. also there more option if you have PhotoLux.

The file browser now sucks even more then before.

My system a bit sluggish with WF4 might need to update drivers.

Fixed bugs/New bugs any one care to give examples of bugs new/fixed?

I only have 5 hours on WF4 pre-release.

How about Visual Basic - That is an awesome addition!!!
smiley1.gif

There should be plenty of propaganda written about the new enhancements in PTC's release notes. Or info on their website that would not require an account to read.

FishNut said:
How about Visual Basic - That is an awesome addition!!!
smiley1.gif

There should be plenty of propaganda written about the new enhancements in PTC's release notes. Or info on their website that would not require an account to read.

A PTC employee. Your cover is blown buddy!!

I always wait one release. I didn't go to WF 3 until WF 4 came out. Always done it that way. It seems to give the most stable platform when done that way.

That default realtime render room is so 1980. Can we loose the chess floor. I know I can customize that thing and I do... but not seeing that chess board would make me think it was say... 2008

jelston,

Your accusing me of being an PTC employee? Come on guy, I can guarantee I am more fed up with PTC than anyone on this board. If I could start all over again with CAD software, I don't think I'd pick pro/e. The software is loaded with bugs, and the performance just seems to get slower. I'm ticked about the whole Intralink/Windchill thing, forcing us to upgrade for a bunch of things we won't use. I'll be staying on 3.4 as long as possible. They are forcing the whole PLM stuff down our throat. They just don't understand that some companies are using Pro/E as an MCAD product, andalready have millions invested in MRP and ERPsystems and are not going to change. Whenever we're billed for maintenance they like to tack on a bunch of extra stuff, and we always have to call back and report the problems and have them bill us correctly. I have noticed that the maintenance bills often contain more than what you have, but the license files never contain any extra features you haven't paid for. Funny how that is. So please don't insult me by calling me out and saying I'm in their camp.

As far as 4.0, yes, I truly am looking for to the VB. Could make my life a lot easier. Ever try to develop a GUI app in Pro/Toolkit??

FishNut said:
jelston,

Your accusing me of being an PTC employee? Come on guy, I can guarantee I am more fed up with PTC than anyone on this board. If I could start all over again with CAD software, I don't think I'd pick pro/e. The software is loaded with bugs, and the performance just seems to get slower. I'm ticked about the whole Intralink/Windchill thing, forcing us to upgrade for a bunch of things we won't use. I'll be staying on 3.4 as long as possible. They are forcing the whole PLM stuff down our throat. They just don't understand that some companies are using Pro/E as an MCAD product, andalready have millions invested in MRP and ERPsystems and are not going to change. Whenever we're billed for maintenance they like to tack on a bunch of extra stuff, and we always have to call back and report the problems and have them bill us correctly. I have noticed that the maintenance bills often contain more than what you have, but the license files never contain any extra features you haven't paid for. Funny how that is. So please don't insult me by calling me out and saying I'm in their camp.

As far as 4.0, yes, I truly am looking for to the VB. Could make my life a lot easier. Ever try to develop a GUI app in Pro/Toolkit??

Standard PTC reply!
smiley36.gif
Just kidding. I feel your pain. What bothers me is i started with 3D design using Pro/E and back then (1998) SW couldn't compare. Now, HONESTLY, I think is SW is a better program simply because they listen to the customer feedback(or at least they make you feel like they do)

Despite this being in the Rant & Rave forum, I feel my previous remarks have hijacked this thread and steered it off topic. My apolgies to the original poster.

As for 4.0 once again, the Visual Basic. We live and die by customizing the software. I simply can't imagine anyone in a manufacturing environment using Pro/E out of the box. This tool could be the biggest improvement ever, at least for our company.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back