Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Another reason not to use Pro-E

mark c

Can anyone prove to me that Pro-Report actually works

I'm trying to create a bill of materials that has two separate repeat regions.

I have to do this because, the over complicated peice of garbage called, pro-report

cannot populate a cell with simple length, width, and height finished size.

So I need to leave it blank and use the "&" callout to reference back to the parameters

I can't believe how much time I spent on this.

As usual PTC is no help at all.,

EAC (our reseller) just tried to sell me an EMX bundle.

Ok! you people that say you love this software, Please prove me wrong.

Try saving an analysis of the desired dimensions, I typically save it as a feature. You can pull a parameter from this. In the desired cell select asm.mbr.USER DEFINED and enter your desiredparameter or feature ID (i.e. length).

WOW. Just like they used to do in the 40's

What a great software. WROOOOONNNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!!
smiley7.gif

Try using Solidworks' BOM. It's a snap.

Anybody else care to respond?

A table with two repeat regions separated by a non-repeat region column simply does not work. But hey, I'll just go spend more money on EMX, just to find out that doesn't work either.

Am I supposed to feel good about spending over five weeks on this?

Are you listening PTC?

How does Solidworks dust taste?

I'm not a BOM expert, don't use it much here (and I'll grant you that they aren't that easy to work with), but you may get some more help by doing the following:

<ul>[*]Create a new topic with a subject that illustrates what you're having issue with, say 'BOM with two repeat regions'.
[*]Place it in an appropriate forum, say the drawing forum.[*]Tell us what version of Pro|E you're working with[*]Tell us what sort of information you want to extract from the models. Are they dimensions, parameters, what?[/list]As it is, no one who is a BOM expert is going to know that this is here and if they do, they are going to want to know more info.

Or maybe you don't really want help and just want to blow off steam.
smiley36.gif

Thanks. By the lack of further postings, I'd say he wasn't really interested in a solution. Maybe he already figured it out, who knows.

The mode I think about it, I don't think there is a way to put two repeat regions into one table. How would Pro|E keep them correlated? Frankly, I'm not sure why you'd want to when you can put as many columns as you'd like into a single repeat region.

dgs,

I have not figured a solution, and yes I'm interested in finding one.

When one is contiually led down the wrong path by the very peope thatwrite the code, and my reseller just tries to sell me another module claimng this will solve my problem, I'm sorry, I get a little frustrated.

I have not been successful in having pro report list finished sizes (length, width,height) in the same cell, so my idea of creating two repeat regions on boths sides of my "finished sizes" column. With the f.s. column not being included in a repeat region, I will just write a command in each cell referencing back to the component parameter to list the sizes. That does not work either.

I don;t understand why this is so difficult. This is basic stuff. If I'm not smart enough to do this, I'll be the first to admit it, but come on,5 weeks?

I'm really not a fan of Solidworks, but I do admit, in this case they blow Pro-e's doors off.

Instead of these useless debates, on what's better, Pro-e or Solidworks, how about listing theissues, then comparing them individually.

I understand the frustration. Pro|E is not nearly as easy to use as it should be, something I've been saying for years here and at PTC|User. This repeat region stuff (interface wise) hasn't changed since I've used Pro|E, back 13 years to release 16. It needs an overhaul, badly.

I'm assuming that the length, width and height are part parameters, correct? If so, you can display multple in one cell my using this syntax:

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">&asm.mbr.length &asm.mbr.width &asm.mbr.height
</div>
This assumes that your parameter names are 'length', 'width' and 'height'. You cannot add this info by double clicking on the cell. This steps you through the available repeat region options allowing a single item to be displayed in a cell. You'll need to RMB on the cell and select properties. You can then add in whatever text you want, including adding non-repeat region text in between, like this:

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">&asm.mbr.length X &asm.mbr.width X &asm.mbr.height
</div>
It helps to step through once so that you have a sample text string in the cell to copy.

I hope this helps. If not, I'd suggest opening a new thread in the drawing forum and ask
there. You may get some help from someone who is more versed in BOM
repeat regions than I am.

Is there anything wrong with adding comment columns inside
of a single repeat region?

We have several customers that use EMX and have implemented
it successfully, so if you are wanting to know of its capabilities and how actual people are using it let me
know.

mark c,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Please give an example of how you do the length, width, height in Solid Works. I believe it can work the same in Pro-e.

Question: Is having the length, width, height in the same cell a requirement?

In Solid Works this would have to be an un-parametric parameter. You can tie a single sketch dimension to a parameter and then show in a table. But if a feature is added to increase the (example height) this is no longer correct info in the BOM.

What we truly are looking for is: parametricmodel outline parameter to show in a BOM. Both Solid Works and Pro-e "out-of-the-box" are not capable (as far as I know). EMX can help with this but if the model changes you have to remember to regenerate the model outline.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back