Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Adding Reference Dim. to Detail View

deejaybos

I have a cross section view of a cylindrical part. On the back is a diameter from "Show Annotations" and I have a detail view where I need to show this diameter as a reference. How do I pull this off in WF5.0 Creo Elements?

I can't even manually create this diameter because I don't have a second entity to select because the detail view is of part of the lower half.

Thanks!

Any help?

Maybe I did a poor job of describing the problem...

I have two views, and I need to show the dimension on one and the dimension on another (as a ref). The main view is a side view showing a diameter callout and the detail view is just a piece of that diameter portion and I need to show the dia as a ref. dimension.

Create the ref dim in the parent view. Select the ref dim and right click, select "move to other view" in the pop up menu and select the detail view.

Can't move "created" dimensions though. I also have a similar situation on the same drawing where the dimension is shown on a detail view and then I need yet another detail view to show the reference diameter. Is there a way to create double arrow diameters?

A co-worker just gave me a perfect method, and I don't know why I, or anyone else didn't think of this or mention it before. If you know you're going to need a dimension as a reference in other views, just create the dimension multiple times within the model on that feature. The first one is the defining dimension, any additional is created as a reference. Then when you do Show Annotations for the model/feature, you can just show the reference dimension in as many views as you need (depending on how many times you re-create that same dimension).

Can't move "created" dimensions though. I also have a similar situation on the same drawing where the dimension is shown on a detail view and then I need yet another detail view to show the reference diameter. Is there a way to create double arrow diameters?

Sure you can move created dimensions between views. It does need to be a view with the same orientation like a detail view and it's parent.

I've used the "create an extra reference dim in the section" trick too but I saw a post in a different forum that it no longer works in Creo2. Must have been too useful so PTC took it away.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back