Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

aaarrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jelston

For the last two hours I have been opening a model with a feature that has lost a reference. I can't open the model without redefining the feature but every time i even breath on the feature, Po/E craps out! ANY SUGGESTIONS.

When the feature goes into failure mode, clip suppress and then save it. At least then you'll be able to open it when Pro|E craps out.
smiley17.gif

Do you know what the missing reference is (was)? Have you tried to reroute? Sometimes, even if you don't know what it is, rerouting to something that's valid will make the feature stable so you can then get in to redefine it properly.

Clip suppress is an automatic crash. It was a feature that I was adding and the funny thing is... it wasn't supposed to be on the level it is now. This all starting with me trying to delete the feature from the assembly level and add it at the part level.
Edited by: jelston

I have tried reroute, suppress, delete, tried to remove the file of the part the feature was tied to, i have tried freezing it. I have lower .number files but for me to go back i far as i need to for this to work, is not worth the time I will lose in starting over.

Might be worth sending to PTC while you continue to hammer away at it. Sounds like you've tried every option there is, however ...

it is never worth sending anything to PTC... waist of time. No offence to them... once a guy gets trained up to where he might answer any questions at tech support.... he can get a job making more money some wheres else. (bad English on purpose)

Edited by: design-engine

can you upload or email the file?

I recently fixed a 110mb file that was unsaveable for 12 mths yipee!!

(saving caused a system crash!)
Edited by: jbuckl

You could try copying everything into a new directory then bring in the old asm the one with the feature see if you can get it to open.

Canyou navigate thru C drive and find the folder where all your files are save and find the part file and just delete the one that's given you troubles or the last file. Open one that was save before that one. If your using windchill I don't know if can retrive it.

Tried to remove the "involved" part but the actual problem was just a top-level feature. Anywho, I just used a patch to get the project in on time and I'll fix it correctly this weekend.

Hi.

I once had similar problem (WF 2).

I think that... I created cosmetic feature on the assembly level... and after it I created some other features. Every time I opened drawing with that assembly some created dimensions simply lost their references. Then I would delete those dimensions, create new ones, save model... and when I open it... guess what: here it comes again. Also, some weldsfailed and needed rerouting.

Every time I saved model, it consumed more and more disk space.

The solution (I hope)is to create cosmetic features at the end of the model tree whenworking inside assembly.

If you have this problem, I think that moving cosmetic feature at the bottom of the model tree NOW will not solve it. If you have old version of your model(before you created cosm feature) try with it.

Hope this helps.

Open the asm and select create new rep> Exclude all. Then make a new rep and turn on parts until you get every thing open.

pmack009 said:
Open the asm and select create new rep> Exclude all. Then make a new rep and turn on parts until you get every thing open.

Didn't think of that one. I'll try it this weekend (or so I keep telling myself) and let you know how it went on Monday.

I have had issues with models in the past and have had nothing but success sending them to PTC. I'd send it to them, why not get more out ofthose wonderfull maintenance fees we pay for.

design-engine said:
it is never worth sending anything to PTC... waist of time. No offence to them... once a guy gets trained up to where he might answer any questions at tech support.... he can get a job making more money some wheres else. (bad English on purpose)

Idisagree. Previously, I worked as an Apps Engineer at a very large DoD contractor. As such, I learned that PTC's tech support has a priority rating based on the type of customer you are with PTC. When you have volume purchase agreements with them, you become a high priority customer (I believe the PTC internal term is "strategic"), and thus move to the top of the Tech Support list. Having ITAR restrictions also puts limits on the nationality of the person who helps you. Needless to say, I got a call back within 1 hour EVERY TIME I needed them. And their english was flawless...

Anywho - Jelston, the bottom line here is that you're porobably not a strategic customer with PTC, and sending files to them is not going to get you an answer in a business practical timeframe - that is what we are here for. But in order to give you decent assistance, you're going to need to give us more information. Screenshots are PRICELESS. GO!

Have you tried to use the Fix Model function? Sometimes all the Quick Fix commands doesn't help, but you can work things out with the Fix Model menu and redefining the feature or component.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back