Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

A really basic question!

scarr

Hi All,

I have been using solidworks for a few hours and it is
driving me mad!! I created a cylinder by extrusion from
the top plane, I want to put a hole in the side of this
cylinder but for the life of me I can't figure it out, I
thought I could just move to right plane, select surface
of cylinder, sketch a circle and then extrude cut. but
when I do this the circle is on the "right plane" and the
"right plane" is in the middle of my cylinder and no
matter what I do I can't figure how to make the cut!!

Sorry if this is a really easy one but trust me I have
searched for it but I think I am now just totally
confused!

Thanks
Steve

Hello there,

There are many ways to add holes at a cilindrical surface. If your goal is to implement a hole completely through the cilinder: change the direction of extrusion to Mid Plane and change the Depth until the Feature is going to cut through the whole cilinder.

If you want to add a hole with a specific depth: Change the Off-option to Offset and make the Feature start outside the model. Next step is to add a desired Depth.

Keep in mind that the Hole Wizard is also useful for adding holes in a few simple steps. Take some time to read the Help-functions and Tutorials within SolidWorks.

Raoul

Edited by: Raoul-RW

HI,

AS THE ABOVE REPLY BY MR.RAOUL IS RIGHT.BUT, IF YOU WANT HOLE WITH CERTAIN DEPTH,BUT NOT TILL THE CENTER OF THE CYLINDER IN THIS CONDITION YOU HAVE TO CREATE AN OFFSET PLANE TILL OUTSIDE SURFACE OF CYLINDER AND THEN U CAN DRAW A SKETCH AND EXTRUDE CUT,BY THIS PROCEDURE YOU CAN CREATE A HOLE.

AVINASH

Making the extruded cut is much easier than it seems. Simply select "through all" or "to next" in one direction, then activate and do the same in the other direction. No need to remember material thickness in any direction.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back