Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Your take on these designs

RAVEN_NQR

Hey guys

How would you go about to make these two designs?

smalemachineparts.jpg

smaldesignnew.jpg

Thanks in advance

Edited by: RAVEN_NQR

There are a variety of ways to do this. One method is to do the following:

<ul>[*]Insert the image into a part sketch and trace over it starting with the outside edges[*]In a second sketch, trace over the cut-out[*]Add a hole using the hole wizard.[*]Mirror the body about the CL plane.[/list]Refer to the attached SW2009 model & JPEG for more details on the first design. A parasolids file is also included if you are using an earlier version.

Chris

2010-07-12_161521_Extrusion-1_Norway.zip

You are awsome, that was more than I could have asked for!

I'll go ahead and give the other desgin an attempt now.
It should be a bit easier for a complete newb like me; now that I can examine your file.

Thanks buddy
smiley1.gif

Raven,

Good job on the model. I have two things to add:

<ul>[*]If desired, you can remove the tangent edges in the sketch by using a fit spline tool ( [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/solidworks/forum/forum_posts.asp? TID=1905&KW=fit+spline[/url])[*]When assigning a material to the part, the appearance will automatically update (example: copper material has the appearance / color of copper).[/list]With practice, modeling will become easier.

Chris

www.appianwaytech.com

seconddesign.jpg

Thanks for all the tips. I went along and made the other design as well. You didn't follow the reference image perfectly, hehe.

It was a bit easier this time as I could just apply the same techniques.I still strugle with the basic concept and workflow though, as I am used to 3ds max.

Edited by: RAVEN_NQR

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back