Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why should models be free?

FishNut

I found therecent post on Free modelsintriguing. I was suprised on how many people expect there to be free models out there to grab. Its one thing for PTC so supply a nutsy-boltsy library. Thats actually a selling tool, not a charity piece. My question is why does everyone expect intellectual property to be free, but not tangible property?

The most popular request I see is for human models. A couple weeks ago a co-worker, for a product he was designing, made a reasonablyaccurate human model that was parametric. You could control shoulder and hip & knee pivot. I told him that there would be quite a demand for that little guy. He designed it at work so it was not his intellectual property. But I told him, that if he did do something like that on his own, not to give it away for nothing.

He probably paid all this time, huh?
If you work for someone and you did not asked during your service you can not expect to be paid and all this time.
Solution would be to have a contract that specifies and copyrights, and if this can be negotiated.
However the best ideas to keep them for himself.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Cristelino

Edited by: cristelino

FishNut said:
The most popular request I see is for human models. A couple weeks ago a co-worker, for a product he was designing, made a reasonablyaccurate human model that was parametric. You could control shoulder and hip & knee pivot. I told him that there would be quite a demand for that little guy. He designed it at work so it was not his intellectual property. But I told him, that if he did do something like that on his own, not to give it away for nothing.

There a free human models available around the net. But with Manakin it's all kind of a moot point now.

I think a company that makes components could benefit greatly from having CAD libraries of these parts available on the net. Much like having an electronic catalog. I know it can be frustrating to design machinery when you don't have accurate dimensions of off the shelf parts available.

So I see a big benefit to "free" models in that aspect.

it depends on the models in question. a seller of stock machine design components (gears, actuators, hydraulic cylinders, motors, etc.) should have models available for their customers if they exist because chances are the customers are designing a much larger piece of equipment that uses these components. The same can be said of electrical components (PCB components, connectors, terminals, fans, etc.) as these components will all go inside or interface with other things.

And the reality is, most of these components are available for free on the company's own website or the website of their distributor.

Now, when it comes to somebody wanting an iPhone model, the model of a car, etc. because they're going to make an aftermarket part for it, then that should certainly not be available for free as the owner of that model stands to make no future earnings from providing that model to the public.

as far as your friend who modeled the human body and you told him that if he did it on his own time not to give it away, he still needs to be careful. even if something is developed on an employee's own time, if it was designed using company resources the company can still "own" the rights to it. If the item was designed within the parameters of the company's business market on an employee's personal computer using the employee's own CAD license, then the company can still argue that the product in question fits well within their own product line and as an employee of the company the employee was privy to proprietary information that enabled him to recognize a market and develop the design. it's tricky.

I had a friend in College who worked for Easton Aluminum (baseball bats, hockey sticks, arrow shafts, etc.). a guy he worked with was a drummer and he was tired of breaking wooden drum sticks. he designed an aluminum drumstick and presented the idea to Easton to see if they'd be interested in purchasing it from him. his employment contract clearly stated that such an invention, even though conceived out of work, belonged to Easton Aluminum because it relied on technology Easton owned and developed to manufacture the product. He did get a thanks for the idea though!

"his employment contract clearly stated that such an invention, even though conceived out of work, belonged to Easton Aluminum because it relied on technology Easton owned and developed to manufacture the product. He did get a thanks for the idea though!" .. Oh yes he is a serf .. so r u saying no one, not one other company could manufacture this drum stick ... These companys and alsogovernments who think they own you and your production(income) is complete Bull crap

michaelpaul said:
as far as your friend who modeled the human body and you told him that if he did it on his own time not to give it away, he still needs to be careful. even if something is developed on an employee's own time, if it was designed using company resources the company can still "own" the rights to it.

Absolutely correct. Companys computer, company's pro/e seat, then its the company's property. I meant if he had access to an outside seat, or his own seat as many consultants would.

Hmmm .. if i am in the companys building and i think of an idea .. i better not write it down with the companys "pencil" on the company's "napkin: cuz then the COMPANY owns it like they OWN you if you think like a serf .. think like a free MAN

Unfortunately Cheezwhiz, thats how it is. Jotting a thought on a napkin and developing a model are really not the same. Either way, I am a free man. I can leave the company if I wish. Its my choice to live under these rules. A job is a priveledge, not a constitutional right.

I was just sayin fishnut that most people don't think like you .. my point was we are free men ... we are not the companys property .. and unfortunatly most people just go along with the herd mentality .. Like not allowed to smoke in your car on company property, not allowing private business owners the right to decide what goes on in there establishment (smoke free laws) .. I wonder if thats what the chinese workers say atmy companysfacility on the mainland "Its my choice to live under these rules" ... it is all your perception

Michaelpaul,

Easton Aluminum position is no different than any company out there. It is pretty much industry practice.

I am not sure there is anything unfair about it though. It is highly doubtful that your friend would have ever come up with this idea had he not been working for Easton, understand their technology, markets and their business practices. It would be different, if on his own time, came up with something totally unrelated.

I don't doubt that some companies' practices can be unfair towards their employees. Most troubling lately is the practice of using employee as disposable commodity, hiring and laying off throughout business cycles, even when for temporary periods; or some practices towards time off, family emergencies, etc.

Why would you have to work for a Aluminum Bat company to come up with the idea of a aluminum drumstick .. your logic is lacking .. maybe how to manufacture it .. Unrelated, it is for muscians.. because it is aluminum thats the conection

I guess according to your logic since you worked there and understood their technology, markets and their business practices .. it is still Eastons property, and if possible they should be able to delete this from your memory banks .. because they own it .. you didn't bring anything to the table for Easton

Cheesewhiz said:
Why would you have to work for a Aluminum Bat company to come up with the idea of a aluminum drumstick .. your logic is lacking .. maybe how to manufacture it .. Unrelated, it is for muscians.. because it is aluminum thats the conection

I guess according to your logic since you worked there and understood their technology, markets and their business practices .. it is still Eastons property, and if possible they should be able to delete this from your memory banks .. because they own it .. you didn't bring anything to the table for Easton

anybody could have come up with the idea for an aluminum drumstick. However, in this case, he was a drummer who happened to work at Easton Aluminum. As an employee of Easton aluminum, he had access to proprietary manufacturing processes that were integral in his design of the aluminum drumstick. he prototyped the design using Easton Aluminum equipment. Thus, the design was Easton's even though he thought of the idea on his own and worked on the design in his own time.

I went back and read the drum stick story here. The problem to me is that he tried to sell the stick design back to the company he worked for.It seems it was a pretty good idea.I think if he designed it all off site, on his own time, he could have quit the company and then a while later come back and present the idea. Then I think he could have done it. I just dont think that when you work for a company you can sell your idea to them. A more realistic end to the story isthat this could have springboarded the guy to a higher level engineer, and in general put him in line for promotion.
Edited by: FishNut

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back