Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why is WF 5.0 so bad?

In Windows XPhave a lookinSystem Properties >Advanced>Performance Options>Visual Effects. Using Adjust for Best Performance turns off all the interface tools using CPU Cycles- this has even more effect in Win7 where heaps of CPU cycles are being used on the interface. Also under Display Properties>Appearance>Effects try turning Transition Effects off

You can also turn down/off some of the animation effects in ProE as well.Have a look under View>Dislay Settings>Model Displayunder Animation

Turn themall off and see if its faster - it feels faster - then turn back on what you need.

Edited by: moriarty

Give the new software a chance :) it is still new.
i have used V2, V3, V4, tried V5 on my Sony Vaio VGN
BZ12VN,
to be honest i am more comfortable using V4 for now. and
yes it do crash more than the other versions.

It is strange that people find the software crashing often. Ah yes, I too experienced the crashing a few times, but then the moment I upgraded to the next build, it was stable. Presently we are using WF5, without any problems. One should check the PTC site for denotified graphics cards and the recommended system configuration. Many a times, the graphics card is the culprit.

The Sony VGN-BZ12VGN has Intel graphics chip with shared
video memory - you would expect ProE to crash - its
designed for accountants not engineers.
smiley2.gif

Buy a laptop that PTC recommend - they spend $100ks testing
them - or maybe a laptop with Nvidia Quadro FX card - the
crashing will probably go away.

My experience is that WF5 is very stable - x64 even better.

i crash once per day. if you don't crash your not trying hard enough ....i crashed wf5.0 today when selecting material editor.

Moriarty,

Thanks for the tip! I was just "upgraded" to Vista and Pro-Ewas suddenly crippled. The screen stopped refreshing, would not highlight selected items and a bunch of other aggrivating quirks. At first i thought it was my video drivers, but they were up to date. After turning off all those snazzy effects, i have Pro-E back to normal. The options in Vista are located in the same place as you mention for XP.

moriarty said:
In Windows XPhave a lookinSystem Properties >Advanced>Performance Options>Visual Effects. Using Adjust for Best Performance turns off all the interface tools using CPU Cycles- this has even more effect in Win7 where heaps of CPU cycles are being used on the interface. Also under Display Properties>Appearance>Effects try turning Transition Effects off

You can also turn down/off some of the animation effects in ProE as well.Have a look under View>Dislay Settings>Model Displayunder Animation

Turn themall off and see if its faster - it feels faster - then turn back on what you need.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back