Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What is the purpose of an Upload??

barnam

I've been pondernig this for some time, and niehter myself nor my co-worker can understand what the purpose of the upload function in Windchill is... Any clues? I mean, the files are put somwhere, but where?

Since I lost some data a while ago due to what I think was a corrupt cache file, I habitually check in all my parts before switching from one workspace to antoher. I an concurrently working on two projects and due to conditions outside of my control need to switche between the two often. Close everything - erase everthing in session - check everthing in - switch wrokspaces- rinse and repeat... My co-worker just run everhing in one giant worspace but due to the crappy gui of winchill, that gets real messy real fast, and hard to manage.

Thanks - BM

When working in Windchill, there are 3 places for parts to be saved.

Workspace, client-side- this is where all your files go when you choose to save (this is only on your computer - not in Windchill)

Workspace, server-side - this is where all your files go when you choose to upload (this is available on the Windchill server)

Commonspace - this is where all your files go when you choose to check-in (this is the PDM server)

Upload is recommended by PTC because workspaces become corrupt so often, it is one way of guaranteeing you haven't lost your work. However: uploading after every single save IS NOT practical due to the amount of time it takes.

You would also upload if you were wanting to access your work from a different computer, say for example over the Interent using a VPN. Unless you upload, none of your modified files could be accesses and worked upon - only the server-side unmodified files.

There is a useful config option: "dm_upload_objects".
We have set it to "automatic" which will cause the file to be uploaded in the backround each time the user saves the models. - Great option !!
smiley1.gif

Probably depending ofcource of the hardware you have, but we dont have any prestanda problems.. so the save is not noramlly a problem. The problem was that the users only save locally to the cache and forgot to upload....

Ok, that's great. Now lets say, hypothetically, you do a bunch of work, do an upload, but then have your workspace somehow become corrupted. How then would you retrieve the previously uploaded files from your server side workspace?

BM

It is always possible to open up the files from the cache.
It is a bit tricky: First search in explorer for containing text and then you have to rename the file to .prt or whatever fileextension.. But uptil now this have not been a problem, rather the problem was that the users forgot to upload before check-in..

The previous instructions detail how to recover work from the client side cache. To recover work from the server side workspace you can simply delete the local cache and then reconnect to the workspace. The client side cache is stored by default in: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER

Ok, I navigated to that folder and there are several subfolders under that one. ..\wildfiler\.wf\cache2\%servername%\%workspace folders%

In each of those folders with names that correspond to my workspace names there's either one or two files in them. All of them have a ws.cache file. One of them has a ws.cache.save file. So, I delete the ws.cache file, and next time I open Pro E it will reload the data from the uploaded server location?

Thanks.
BM

ABB_pajo said:
It is a bit tricky: First search in explorer for containing text and then you have to rename the file to .prt or whatever fileextension.. But uptil now this have not been a problem, rather the problem was that the users forgot to upload before check-in..

Is it possible to NOT UPLOAD during check-in? I'm not so sure it is.

Upload does not have any iterations. Upload takes as long as check-in. If you have the time, might consider a Check-in (keep checked-out) that bumps up the iterations in case you need to reverse to the previous design(s).

If you want to access from a second computer, share the cache folder.

pjw said:
ABB_pajo said:

No, a check-in is an upload with iterations.

pjw said:
trillicomm said:
pjw said:
ABB_pajo said:

No, a check-in is an upload with iterations.

Yes, but you can't do a check-in without first uploading modified files (and by that I mean files that have been check out with the intention of storing in Commonspace).

Is there a way to check-in without going through the upload process?
Edited by: pjw

Sweet. I created a test part, saved it, uploaded it, then made a change but only saved it. After exiting Pro E, I deleted the ws.cache file for that workspace. Then, when I restarted Pro E and opened the file it automatically created a new ws.cache and reloaded my last uploaded part. Cool.

Thanks!
BM

ABB_pajo said:
There is a useful config option: "dm_upload_objects".

We have set it to "automatic" which will cause the file to be uploaded in the backround each time the user saves the models. - Great option !!
smiley1.gif

Where do you find this option? I looked under Tools->Options but can't find it listed. BTW, I'm in WF2. Is this a WF3 option? How does it work if you have not yest set a location for a new file? When I upload from windchill it asks for a location.

Thanks.
BM

barnam said:
Sweet. I created a test part, saved it, uploaded it, then made a change but only saved it. After exiting Pro E, I deleted the ws.cache file for that workspace. Then, when I restarted Pro E and opened the file it automatically created a new ws.cache and reloaded my last uploaded part. Cool.

Thanks!
BM

Right, the server keeps the server cache in case your local cache is corrupted.

This isn't the point I was making. I said that you couldn't check-in without avoiding the (often time consuming) upload.

Yes, there is a "dm_upload_onbjects" but if you set this to yes, you are setting yourself up for some very long waits everytime you hit the 'save' button'.

pjw said:
This isn't the point I was making. I said that you couldn't check-in without avoiding the (often time consuming) upload.

Yes, there is a "dm_upload_onbjects" but if you set this to yes, you are setting yourself up for some very long waits everytime you hit the 'save' button'.

I agree. Create a custom button for Upload on your toolbar. Place it next to the Save button. When you save, remind yourself to upload once in a while, but not every time.

Auto-upload depends on your network bandwidth. During busy hours, your upload will stall until it gets its turn.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back