Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What’s the quickest way to make drawings?

squale

I have a machining company and we for years have been using 2d cad systems such as AutoCAD, GeneralCAD, etc. Now we are starting to adopt 3d because everybody says it's so much more powerful, etc. I agree it's nice to have a model that you can see and manipulate onscreen... but I see that it almost creates double the work to make the model, then go ahead and create a 2d drawing out of the model, dimension the drawing appropriately, print it out and give it to the machinist to make. It's like doing work twice for one part. You first have to make a model, then make a drawing and dimension the drawing. The import dimensions feature in drawings is terrible, it never puts the right dimensions in the right places, etc. so you manually have to go and insert the right dimensions in the right places.

I know you can feed a solid model through CAM software to program your machine tools but we don't do this. We just machine parts off of 2d drawings.

so my question is, is there a way to make solidworks drawings with an assosiated model just as fast as making a standalone 2d drawing only like we used to do in AutoCAD, etc.? I don't want to significantly slow down my business and spend all day making models then drawings.. I don't have that time or resources available.

The power of parametrics CAD programs is not the speed.

If you have just ONE drawing for a part maybe is faster to use AUTOCAD. But, if your model is changed, you make an another drawing in AUTOCAD. If you use SW and make a part, then you need a SINGLE drawing for this part. If you change anything in your part dhe drawing is AUTOMATICALY update. And SW DO NOT FORGET to update every other dimensions wich are changed in this time in ALL the views.A simple example:if you have a triangle and you change the dimension for ONE segment,2 angles are changed too. If in your drawing you dimenssion this angles, the dimensions are AUTOMATICALY updates.

Also you can make ONLY the drawing. Is not necesary to model a part in order to have a drawing. Click NEW-DRAWING, and draw.You work EXACTLY as you make a sketch (with smart dimension tool, skethrelations and so on). Now, if you modify a dimension, ALL related dimensions will be AUTOMATICALY changed.

Hope you understand my english
smiley1.gif

Good luck !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back