Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF4.0 XSEC (Wow, what hang time!)

jtuttle

I upgraded to WF4.0 recently (using the same workstation) and am having a huge problem with the View Manager's XSEC (offset) hanging the system for no apparent reason. This has become very unproductive. Each mouse click on the screen (while performing XSEC functions) hangs my system from 2 minutes to 15 minutes! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS PROBLEM? IF NOT, CAN ANYONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM? (My assembly is less than 75 parts.)<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">My workstation is a Dell PRECISION 690. DUAL QUAD INTEL PROCESSOR, 6MB RAM, NVIDIA FX 3500 GRAPHICS CARD (256K). This card is certified by PTC. Even though the card costs around $800, can it be due to the low memory? This was NEVER an issue with WF3.0!<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">I have tried deleting some unnecessary processes from the Windows Task Manager. I have over 2MG of RAM left, but the lock ups still occur! WHAT GIVES?

ALSO, are there any noticeable difference with NVIDIA's GeForce vs. QUADRO FX cards when it comes to doing MCAD type of work?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, can't help you with your problem, but I can say that I recently swapped a Quadro 560 for a FireGL 3600 and the only noticeable difference is that the Pro/E graphics performance got twice as fast. Aside of that, the functionality in CAD should not be affected in any way.

Generally, a fresh reinstall of Windows every two years or so is a good idea, because for some reason it seems to cruft up. Your problem could be caused by old libraries or something, but I am admittedly an ignorant in such things.

If you have 6GB of RAM fitted and assuming that your system can see all of it and you have only 2GB of RAM left. I can only assume one of the following.

The 75 parts in the assembly are mind-blowingly complicated.
You have an awful lot of sh*te running in the background that is killing your productivity.
You are running Vista (see above).

Admittedly I am not running WF4 but I can run 3,500 (relatively simple) component assemblies on a machine with only 1GB of RAM and it is just starting to run out of RAM.

NB: It is possible to get XPSP3 to boot perfectly functional with about 18 processes running and using about 100MB of RAM. Anything on top of that is probably not mission critical.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

jtuttle said:
ALSO, are there any noticeable difference with NVIDIA's GeForce vs. QUADRO FX cards when it comes to doing MCAD type of work?

Thanks for the help!

I have a GeForce 6800 on my home computer and a Quadro FX 3500 on my computer at work. I haven'tnoticed much if any difference between the two, although I haven't worked with large assemblies on my home computer like I have at work.

Try re-doing your sectioning sketch, if it doesn't extend beyond the model edges it can confuse the program. We've had similar issues on some models but re-doing the sketch solved the problem.

You have to put to NO the "quick erase of the hidden xsec lines" for each view of your drawing (sorry but I have proE in french, but you can see below this option)

Than it would go faster.
I hope this helps.

J - If you have 6mb of ram and you can see that you only have 2 mb left then something is not right. I run Dell precision laptops M6300 with 4gb of ram, I have just opened an assembly with 872 parts and it opened in 5 secs, probably network delay. I just did a cross section and it worked fine.

Dont mind all the crap about vista, i've been running it now for about 7 months and I have no problems at all with it.

One thing i did when I swicthed to WF4 was I completely redid my config.pro. it took a while but it was worth working through it to get rid of options set that were no longer valid and also to set new options.

I used to run Geforce graphics cards and had lots of graphics issues, i switched to Quadro FX and since then I have not looked back.

As for reinstalling windows, forget about doing it every 2 years, i do mine every 6 months, and I completely format the drive when doing it. It really does help to keep the machines running smoothly and problem free, we each do our own machines and can get through it in about 4 hours, but absolutely worth it.

As to a resolution for your issue its very hard to give one as there could be a number of contibutors. If you can try running proe on a blank config.pro and see if you still get the same problem. If possible get proe installed on a spare machine and try it there see what happens. Have a serious look at what is running on your machine, using 4gb+ of memory is a big slice to be using, i only have 4gb and have never topped out. You could try closing all non required little programs, this would include all dell resources programs, printer software etc. Run through the installed programs list on your machine and unistall anything that you have no used or anything that you dont need, if your uncomfortable with this then have someone with more computer experience help you. Its pretty hard though to do damage or unistall something that you really need as they should be named in the list, there may be some programs that your company needs installed like landesk etc so check with IT first.

Let us know how you get on.

Paddy

Ok... I have been searching the answer to this since i changed to WF4 from WF2 last week. I HATE PTC!!!
smiley7.gif
I have support and would call them but I know they would just find some reason not to support my call.

I have windows XP 64 bit, with 8GB of RAM, and a Quadro NVS 440 Graphics Card. My assembly is very slow when trying to do something while having a cross section. I locks up everytime i click something. Can someone please help? the file size of the assy is 19,500 KB

Omar
Edited by: omarhernandez

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back