Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

View Projection

jelston

If I pick a front view, why in the heck can't all my other views be automatically defined based on if I use ANSI or ISO? Every dang time I start a new assembly; yes I use a mapkey. Why do I have to use a mapkey?
smiley7.gif

Sounds like you're talking about third angle vs. first angle projections in a drawing.Can't this be set by config.pro? Your user data says you are in the US, so I would think that dealing with first angle projections is a rarity for you, and third angle projections are your daily bread.

Jelston,

I think what you need to do is set up your start part so that it has all the front, top etc views defined?

Kev
Edited by: prohammy

Your're a good person to talk to. In SW, views are pre-defined, and it you want to change a view, all others adjust. Unless I am missing something, which is possible, an individual has to define all views, and the labels front and back can represent the exact same view. In other words, if i press CTRL + 1 in SW, I get a front view, +2 back, etc. already defined and not "double defined". Prolly shouldn't pay attention to me today Pro is just really ticking me more than usual.
smiley9.gif

first or third angle is defined in the dtl file

Config pro option to load the dtl file you want is drawing_setup_file your drw setup here.dtl

jelston said:
If I pick a front view, why in the heck can't all my other views be automatically defined based on if I use ANSI or ISO? Every dang time I start a new assembly; yes I use a mapkey. Why do I have to use a mapkey?
smiley7.gif
Because Pro/E is far more flexible and elegant system than SW and
refuses to be constrained by small minded people who think there is
only one or two ways to setup named views.

Seriously, I define my named views in my templates.

So this isn't about first angle vs. third angle, apparently. You can set up views (including named views) relatively easily in both Pro/E and SW, but SW does come with a default icon for setting up multiple views at once on a drawing (but not Pro/E). I think this is what jelston is referring to. I never use this function in SW. I always just plop a viewon the drawingby dragging the model onto the sheet, thenrotate it to the orientation I want, and generate projections off of it.There is no 'master' or 'general' view from a practical standpoint in SW. So easy, so flexible: no need to use named views at all. I generally have no idea what name my views have in SW: the names serve little practical purpose.

I can generate mydrawing views in SW in less than one-quarter the timeof Pro/E. But I have not mastered the use of mapkeys, nor I have deciphered all of the royal hieroglyphics in Pro/E yet. I just have a fondness for the 'Easy' button, which exists in SW but not in Pro/E.

Amen, mindripper.

And there is only one way to set up named views, that's why it's a STANDARD. SW does allow for view other than STANDARD views, but STANDARD views come STANDARD. Package everything that should be in an ANSI STANDARD and make it a package, same with ISO STANDARD.

smiley4.gif

As I remember WF 2.0 was introduced with those pre-fabricate views. I` ve never used that. It sucks. Ho\Each time - general view andthen as everybody knows how to follow.

However, I had an opportunity to deal a little with Catia lately, and spent a bit of time with drafting. I was impressed how adding a view can be a pleasure(not easier, because it is not so hard to do that in Pro\E eithwer), and efficient. The same with automated projections. It works. Still, putting dims from model is a mistery for me, but views works in Catia much better then in Pro\E

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back