Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Unbend Help

gamack

2008-07-28_064902_hopper.zip

Can anyone help unbend the attached part.

It's a special purpose hopper, created from a blend. Only problem is the top blend is not rectangularas per the bottom blend. The top blend hasone corner off on an angle. The unbend command will not work for this corner. I have tried deformation, but I cant seem to get any result to unbend.

Can anyone help create a blank pattern?

It shouldn't matter that you have a cutout or different radii to perform unbending. Important is that there is no warping in the flat parts - so they should be parallel - and the connection between the radii forms cone sections - so that they can unbend to flat sections. Does the part unbend when you suppress the cutout ?

Alex

That's the problem, the top blend has one edge that's not parallel to the bottom blend. The cutout makes no difference. It's only the non parallel surface that prevents the unbending, this creates the "warp" or twist in the sheetmetal. It is not uncommon, in large sheetmetal parts, to have warping/twisting. Bi-folds are a good example, but we general use a forming tool to show this in Pro/E.

Do you know if it ispossible using deform?

Glenn...

You might model the "normal" part of the hopper as a blend and add the warped section afterwards. Doing everything in one go probably prevents ProE from recognizing the warp.

Alex

Just a suggestion, did you consider trying the sheetmetal twist command? Go to Insert\ sheet metal wall\ twist. You can acheive the twist in the material pretty much as you have shown. Might be worth a go. If I get a chance I'll have a go myself.

Michael, I tried the Twist but cant see how this is possible. Let me know if you get a chance and have any luck.

Glenn

Glenn,

Tried it along with a boundary belend wall and neither worked.

I'll keep trying and if i come up with something i'll get back to you

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back