Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Turning Off AutoDim in Sketcher

Mindripper

What's the config.pro setting for turning off the automatic dimensioning 'feature' in the sketcher in WF3? I'm tired of having unnnecessary dimensions pop up that cause dimensioning conflicts and are hard to get rid of.

That is also an option in WF3, but that causes even strong dimensions to notdisplay. So, you can't see any of your own dimensions that you place.

Crang72, you are correct. sketcher_disp_dimensions no does turn off all dimensions. sketcher_disp_weak_dimensions no will turn off weak dimensions.

you could also try "sketcher_intent_manager no" to go back to the old sketcher environment if you want to dimension everything by hand...

Just ignore them. When you create the dimensions you want they go away. Keep adding dimensions until there are none left or turn them into strong dimensions. Under no circumstances finish a sketch with weak dimensions, that's what causes problems.

I think the question is how to preventSketcher from assigning any dimensions at all. Pretty much the same way as without Intent Manager.

The main reason for this is to prevent re-dimensioning by Intent Manager if something goes wrong with references.

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

The main problems with the automatically generated dimensions are:

They frequently do not reflect the design intent, regardless of what references are selected in advance. For example, they never select a diameter in a sketch to be used in a volume of revolution. Other examples are dimensions appearing which do NOT use the predefined references.

They WILL conflict with created dimensions in many cases: no, they don't simply 'go away', like PTC claims.

Extra 'fake dims' end up in the sketch sometimes,usually due tobogus assumptions made by the autodim 'feature', and without any apparent reason or purpose in other cases. This can result in wasted time trying to eliminate the 'fake dims'.

Any experienced user has little if any use for the Autodim'feature'. It's one of the biggest productivity downgrades PTC has introduced to Pro/E. It's also one of the primary reasons some users haven't 'upgraded to Wildfire - at all. Actual users understand this: trainers are frequently not 'hands on' users, their experience being limited primarily or exclusively to instruction.

I've asked repeatedly ... allow intent manager to be trained like my cellphone can be trained to recall specific words, train my dimensioning schema to accept specific dimensioning habits. its a start and has to be done at some point.... therefor thy may as well start sooner than later. I mentioned it back when intent manager just came out and the PTC manager got everyone laughing at me as if that would be a ridiculously difficult task. After everyone got a laugh I exclaimed, "my cellphone can do it." Then everyone laughed again.When I mentioned it again as a TC committee member I was told that room 204 was were that committee was. That was a year ago. So Ive been talking about that for almost 10 years. I am surprised that 'intent' has not matured past where it is now.
Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back