Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Transfer of WF4 to a new Machine

jwdesigner

Hello all,

Thanks to a tax-free weekend in Bammy, I got a new desktop. I download WF4 to my laptop a few weeks ago, but I would rather have it on my desktop. Is it possible for one license to serve both machines? If I have to choose one, I would rather move it to the desktop.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Is it a floating license? If so, it can run on any machine with access to the license server. If it is node locked it is actually locked to a MAC address. You would have to move the network card. I'm not sure if license borrowing is allowed with node locked licenses. If it is you can install on the desktop & just borrow it on the notebook when you want too. Be aware that when a license is borrowed, you can not "return" it early. The license stays borrowed for what ever duration you specified.

Hey Doc,

It is a Student Edition of WF4. I assume it is just one license for one machine. I have no idea where to look to find where it is installed. It's OK if the license stays on my new machine, I would rather have it there anyway. You're dealing with an admin noob, I was spoiled by years of other people doing the admin and I just ran the program. Yes, however, the two machines can see each other through my home network.

Thanks!

I have no idea what form of licensing PTC use on the Student Edition but I guess node locked. You will have to get a new license from PTC to run on the new machine & swear on a stack of bibles that you removed it from the old machine. You will also get to learn how to do an install.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back