Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Thread Turning

azankog

Hi guys

This is my first topic on this forum, i'm not a god englishman, so sry if i miss some words.

I need to do a thread turning of metric thread (60 deagres). Thread is M58x2 and everythnig about this sequence is clear to me (i think) except one parameter, THREED_FEET. It says that THREED_FEED is thread pitch in THREAT_FEED_UNITS. I set THREAT_FEET_UNITS to MMPR. Why i need THREAD_FEED? If that is a pitch, may I set CUT_FEED to 240 and SPINDLE_SPEED to 120 to get a pitch od 2mm?

Plz give me a advice or some example to these parameters.

Tnx ahead

Hi Azankog,
This is the thread pitch, in your case 2.0mm per revolution. It could also represent the threads per inch if THREAD_FEED_UNITS is set to TPI(threads per inch). It seems redundant but is not.
Setting the feed rateand the spindle speed as a ratio does not get the pitch feed. Yourfeed rate should actually be 9.4488ipm to get 0.0787(2mm) per revolution.
Hope this helps.

Jay.

"This is the thread pitch, in your case 2.0mm per revolution. It could
also represent the threads per inch if THREAD_FEED_UNITS is set to
TPI(threads per inch). It seems redundant but is not."
I got it.

"Setting the feed rateand the spindle speed as a ratio does not get the pitch feed"

Right, i must set pitch_feed 2mm (in my case that is pitch of my thread,unified), and with that ProE automaticly calculate thread_depth?Am I right?

U also said that i need to set cut_feed to 240 (9.4488ipm), and spindle speed is? 120 or?

Tnx a lot

Hi Azankog,
Yes to your first question as long as you define a profile for the tool to follow.

No to the 2nd question. I was only saying 9.4488ipm at 120rpm's will get a 2mm pitch on the OD. You will NOT use FEED_RATE for a threading sequence ONLY THREAD_FEED_UNITS and THREAD_FEED.

Jay.

"No to the 2nd question. I was only saying 9.4488ipm at 120rpm's will
get a 2mm pitch on the OD. You will NOT use FEED_RATE for a threading
sequence ONLY THREAD_FEED_UNITS and THREAD_FEED."

But i need to put some parameters on:
CUT_FEED
THREAD_FEED
(THREAD_FEED_UNITS)*
CLEAR_DIST
SPINDLE_SPEED

threadturning.png

Hi,
Put 2.0 in THREAD_FEED. Put 3.0 in CLEAR_DIST. Put 300 in SPINDLE_SPEED. Put 0.3 in CUT_FEED. See if it works. Also, when you put a value in thread_feed first, see if the cut_feed box is no longer highlighted in light yellow.
Play around with cut_feed value and see what happens.

Jay.

Thanks man...all work...i put 2 in THREAD_FEED, 3 in CLEAR_DIST 300 in SPINDLE_SPEED and CUT_FEED set to 0! And all works perfectly ;) Tnx jcrook
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back