Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface Modelling (Solidworks)

moseleys3

Hello All,

This is my first post so please go easy :)

Basically, Im trying to create a boundary surface between a sketch and a
projected curve, and an existing surface.

However, I get an error when I add the existing surface to the boundary
surface. I believe its because the project curve doesn't intersect or
coincide with the surface.

I am new with projected curves and I'm not entirely 100% on how to do
this. I understand its hard to get what I am on about so I've uploaded
some photos and added the Solidworks part.

Any information, google links, tutorials ect, I could possibly get to read
up on the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Solidworks Part
Screen Shot 1
Screen Shot 2
Screen Shot 3

Many Thanks,
Moseleys3
Edited by: moseleys3

the voice from outside - if I were You I would first focus on solving 3&5 sided patches. I do know SW is capable to make it automaticaly but in the surfacing buisness poeple struggle to do it manualy because of final quality.

Second thing are fillets. At the end there are the tools to make surfacing happen and thez are almost similar for any software which capable to handle surfacing - SW, SE, NX, Catia, Alias, etc. The differenace usually sticks in capability to create high degree curves, thus surfaces.

So, after this long prologue I advise You to visit my page and check available tutorials
smiley2.gif

http://proe-warsztat.com/en/tuts/tuts.php

Moseleys3,

Although jacek's tutorials are great, you're immediate challange has to do with SW workflow, and not high-level surfacing techniques - at least as far as getting this error fixed... (Building high quality surface models is a whole other story!
smiley2.gif
)

In your case, it looks like you are trying to select that entire body for dir1 #3 curve. I believe this because the error message says **Error**Surface Body, and because all edges of the surface are highlighted. Instead, try right-cicking on the screen and selecting "selection manager" from the menu. Now use that to select just that single edge that you want. In addition, because that edge goes past your lower dir2 curve, you may want to select the "Trim by direction 2" check box which is shown in one of your screenshots. Sometimes SW knows to trim it, and sometimes it does not.

Try this out, and let us know how it works...

Jim Shaw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

muadib3d, I have looked at your site and it has some great surfacing
tutorials. However, as Jim says it doesnt really help me with the errror im
having in solidworks.

Jim, I've tried using the selection manager :
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?3wx7wv3jxp4mff4" target="_blank">Selection Manager -
ScreenShot</a>

I am still having no luck. I can appreciate you probably have a very busy schedule and to help a total stranger in this day and age is becoming
unthinkable. But do you think you could find a little time to have a look at
the Solidworks file i posted? Maybe if you could see the problem and then
i could re-trace your steps.

If not, thank you both very much for you previous suggestions.

Kindest Regards,
Moseleys3

Moseleys3,

Unfortunately, I'm in SW2009, and I can't open your model.

But, I can tell you by your last screenshot, that the curve you are selecting should be a DIR2 curve, and not a DIR1 curve. See how your dir1 selection box is blue on the left hand side of your screen? Click in your dir2 box to highlight it blue, then select your third curve (after removing the error of course).

For each direction, your curves should be pointed "somewhat" in the same direction, as you are basically establishing a coarse mesh for the software to map a surface to. Understand?

Only in some cases should curves of the same direction touch each other. And as Jacek would point out, that can result in a low quality surface, and would need to be patched before it can be considered acceptable. In your case, you are trying to select a 3rd dir1 curve which touches two other dir1 curves, and mathematically, this just does not compute. Thus SW (and any other CAD software for that matter) gives you this error.

Reselect your curves in the correct directions, and get back to us.

Jim Shaw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Thats a poor screenshot on my half, It doesn't really show what I tired. Sorry
for being misleading.

I have tried how you have mentioned and still no result.

Thank you once more for trying to help.

Have a nice evening/day not sure which part of the states :)

Kindest Regards,
Moseleys3

4 Days!

However, I stuck with it and finally managed it. Basically it boiled down to
not having good foundations i.e sketches.

Thank you for all your input, Much appreciated. You just couldn't help my
inexperience

Kindest Regards,
Moseleys3
smiley4.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back