Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface modeling - zero thickness rip?

mebill

Hi All

I have been asked to create a model which is to be used in a 3rd party FEA package. The FEA person simply wanted the 'mid planes' of this geometry. This is a process I have done a number of times for this person. To make the geometry work with FEA it is important to ensure all surfaces are joined together.

OK, imagine two parallel circular plates with a number of small rectangular plates joining the upper surface to the lower surface. If I try to do a Merge/Join ProE 5 might let me do one side (though it appears to split the circular disk), but then will not enable the Merge tool when I select the other circular disk and either the first merge, or the rectangular joiner piece.

What I would really like to do is along the lines of a Extrude, Surface (straight line sketch), remove material, straight through the upper and lower surface to create what would be called in Sheet Metal a 'rip'.

I would be really happy to here ideas (if you can make sense of my description) as I do not really want to conceed defeat (yet).

Thanks

Bill

It looks like you're describing a cylinder with faceted sides, there must be more to it then that. Can you post a sketch?

Hi kenppy

Here goes the ASCII art..

----------------- top surface
| |&nbsp ; One (of a number) rectangular interconnect panels
----------------- bottom surface

If you can stretch your mind, spin this sketch 360 degrees about a left side vertical axis, and pattern the interconnect 4 times around that same axis to give 4 stiffeners between these two plates.

Does that make sense. Is there a way I can post a JPEG?

Bill

You cannot produce surfaces with more than one loop, don't know why this limitation because if the centre square was filled in and it would still produce a sensibly thickened part. Maybe this in expectation that the only thing you were aiming for is a single skin watertight surface to convert to solid.

View attachment 5033

Try merging one of the disks and one rectangular plates, merge this quilt with the other disk, and then merge the remainingrectangular plates.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back