Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STL import into ProE

daveyk_belgium

Hi

I have a STL file.

I want to import this as a solid in ProE. All I can manage is a facetted feature.

Any sneaky tricks or free software?

Cheers

Dave

Import your STL file into a blank part then Save As > Shrinkwrap, select Faceted Solid at the top of the 'Create Shrinkwrap' menu. Depending on the resolution you want, adjust Quality level. You'll probably need very high quality to get decent geometry.

I don't use it much but I believe its for a less memory intensive representation of your model since it only captures exterior surfaces. Somebody with better knowledge of large assemblies might be able to explain it further as I think it's used in that realm a lot.

mgnt8: where do you work?

If the shrink wrap is for less memory intensive represnetation then is it improper to use it for a production model? Maybe I will post that question to the poll toy on mcad central?

I'm on the NW side - look for the plastics factory surrounded by million dollar condos. One of your guys has been in contact with me after thatSchaumburg RUG (SHRUG?). Let me know when you have an open house or something so I can checkout your skate park.

I think shrinkwrap is more for lightweight sharing your model with other users without showing the features. The accuracy doesn't always translate well so its not nearlyas good as STEP if your passing along geometry for tooling. As for packaging with clamshell, I suppose it could help reduce file size, but simplified reps might be the better option.

mgnt8: IKES

I guess
I put myself out there with by putting
my name in the signature and all. Everyone else is sorta
masked. Maybe we should make a spot on mcadcentral to show
themselves. Pictures. I'll submit a hand sketch.

About the half pipe:

Yea I have
not dropped in on the half pipe but I am touching
the coping.
If anyone wants to stop by the
design-engine facility one afternoon I will gladly show you our style
of
training differences and that 6000 sq foot design-engine play house
with 6" vertical wall, pool table, hot tub, movie room. Disterbed the
rock band practices there. I even
ride my kdx200 inside to practice my flat track on unique wood / carpet
textures. I am more of a motrocrosser than a skate boarder but